New rifle decisions. NEED HELP BADLY!!!

It is looking more and more like i am going to go with the savage 12vlp dm. in 300wsm. For hunting whitetails am thinking about loading some 165gr accubonds or 180gr accubonds. what seems to work better in the 300wsm?

2. Rem SPS is a crap shoot at best and Sendaro too much for what you get.

The savage will shoot rings around the other two.

BH

To each their own, but I whole heartedly disagree with this. Savage is a much cruder action for the money. You can't beat the Remington action. Savage is good, Rem is great. As far as which will shoot rings around the other, that depends on the barrel.

Now, if you want something off the shelf, go with the Sendero, then the Savage, then the SPS last. That is the order of march. If you an handle the kick, a Tikka is a great stock rifle too.

And if you are worried about whitetails, you have the gun already. The 270 WSM is interchangeable with the 300 WSM virtually.

I would completely agree with BountyHunter, the Remington is about the last factory rifle I would buy right now. I dig the Savage over all but other than that the Vanguard/Howa if custom is not an option.

The 12 VLP stock is usually easy to get a 100+ dollars out of if you don't like it, all I've ever done to them is bed them and they are GTG.
I would rock the 300 WSM!!! If your were try to knock over elk at 1000+yrds you would see a difference but to 600yrds I doubt a deer or elk would know the difference and the WSM would be nice to shoot without a brake. I like the RUM but just is not really necessary in less you just want one.

I have both the 300WSM and 270WSM. I shoot deer with the nice Kimber 270WSM all the time and the 300 M70 Featherweight has been in the gun cabinet. I shoot elk with the 270WSM an el-cheapo walmart M70 that I don't care if it gets beat up. I have shot elk at over 500yards with it. I have had 1 300WSM,3 270WSM's, 2 7WSM's and a 7RSAUM.

I guess having both I can say that you should get something a little more different than a 300WSM. At least a 325WSM or 338 if you want something better to shoot elk with than a 270WSM. 270 WSM 150gNPT at 3100+fps or a 300WSM with a 165gNPT at 3200+fps.Not a big difference really.

I hear what your guys are saying that the .300wsm isnt much different then my .270wsm but as tim the tool man taylor would say "MORE POWER grunt grunt grunt." That and i just love guns. One can never have enough. Thanks for all of the help. I was reading a article by jerry on here about how to build a custom for under $1000. And now of course I am even more confused but I dont know any gunsmiths around the macon area.

It sounds to me like you have decided to go with the 300wsm. It is a great cailber and will do what you want. If you get the heavy barrel model 12 there should be no reason for a muzzle break and the 180 accubond will deliver more than enough killing power for elk out to 6-700 yards. The same load will work great for any deer in the crosshairs as well.

I had a heavy barreled model 12 in 300wsm and could watch the bullets impact from 300 yards out. But I also like the breaks but for hunting if I can shoot well without one I would rather not have it. Just my .02.

Yeah im hoping i dont need the break to shoot comfortably that is one reason i am going with the wsm. thanks for all of ur guys help.

I hear what your guys are saying that the .300wsm isnt much different then my .270wsm but as tim the tool man taylor would say "MORE POWER grunt grunt grunt." That and i just love guns. One can never have enough. Thanks for all of the help. I was reading a article by jerry on here about how to build a custom for under $1000. And now of course I am even more confused but I dont know any gunsmiths around the macon area.

Then sell your 270 WSM and get something to shoot varmints with, like a 22-250. You have no use for yor 270 WSM if you get a 300 WSM.

So why wouldn't you sell the 270 then??? Its virtually the same type of gun. So you will be shooting one or the other, not both. Name a situation where you would favor one over the other?

I am perplexed. If you want something with more oomph, then go with a RUM or a 338 Edge, or Lapua?

Or if you are going after a bruin some time, get a 375 H&H

Buy what you want, but you really aren't upgrading much more than miniscule proportions with a 300 WSM.

Heres a thought... Why don't you rebarrel the mdl. 70 in 300 wsm??? You would be able to go with a 28" or so and get a few more fps. Would possibly allow you to shoot a bit heavier bullet and still get the velocity you want. Just a thought but you could go with whatever barrel you want and a nice trigger and bedding job and still come out cheaper.

Heres a thought... Why don't you rebarrel the mdl. 70 in 300 wsm??? You would be able to go with a 28" or so and get a few more fps. Would possibly allow you to shoot a bit heavier bullet and still get the velocity you want. Just a thought but you could go with whatever barrel you want and a nice trigger and bedding job and still come out cheaper.

Best idea yet. You could get a great Krieger barrel for mid 300s, cerracoat it, have the action and barrel bedded for under a 1000. Then you have the 300 WSM you so covet, and in a semi-custom rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.