New rifle decisions. NEED HELP BADLY!!!

win270wsm

Ok I am looking for a new rifle. The rifle will be used for hunting trophy whitetails in missouri and the occasional Elk hunt out to 600 yards. I am looking at three guns models. The Remington sps which i would remplace the stock with a h.s. precision or b&C. Then there is the remington sendero. Both would have a vais break installed. The third and final choice is the savage 11 long range hunter. Now onto the choice of caliber. The remingtons i would have chambered in either 7rum or a 300rum. The savage would be in 300wsm. The scope to be mounted is a 4-16x50 nikon monarch. Also, for more info this is not my only hunting rifle as i have a winchester model 70 coyote in 270wsm. Thanks everyone for all of your help as i am having trouble choosing what to do. I am leaning towards the remingtons as for now in the 300rum. Also, wanting to know if i went the sps way and changed the stock would it shoot as good as sendaro if so that would be my most likely choice. Thanks again for the help. Also, I reload and will be using accubonds with what ever I buy.

If you like recoil and short barrel life or don't shoot a lot the RUM's would be good, but the 300 WSM in anything, IMO would be better in the long run for the ranges your talking. From what I've been around the SPS you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one, Sendero is a much higher chance but I would go to the top and get a Savage model 12 VLP in 300 WSM!!

The 300RUMs I have shot would shoot very well. I think I would go with the SPS in 300RUM of the choices you are looking at. Senderos can be kinda heavy to carry if you have to. A 300 RUM is good for a long way past 600 yards. I put 3 into a dime at 200 with the 2 700LSS's I shot(my buddies-his roomate burned the house down with him and the first LSS in it). 180g at 3200fps no problem. A 700lss may be a decent choice also.

BTW, the M70 270WSM is fully capable of your goals.

I bought a remington sps in 300RUM a few years ago and the thing is a definate shooter. It shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups @ 200 yards all day long. I shoot 210 bergers at 3100 fps. But as stated before this is not always the case. My uncle shot mine and 2 days later brought one that he just bought over for me to work a load for. The best that his identicle rifle would do was about 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards with a 165gr bullet. And that load only chronoed at 3000 fps. That is not very good for that amount of powder burned. I have also had a 300wsm in a savage model 12. I could regularly shoot 1/2inch 5 shot groups at 200 yards and sometimes 1/4 inch. Should have never got rid of it. Imo if I were gonna shoot at an elk at 6-700 yards I would rather have the wsm for the simple reason that it does not kick as bad. More than enough gun for the job.

Thank you for all of the quick reply. I don't believe i will be going the sps way since I have found it is not a heavier barrel. Weight is not much of issue since the 270 weighs about the same as the sendaro and the savage. I am not going to disagree with you that the 270wsm can do the job. I am just wanting something that will do it better if you can understand what i mean. I just wanna put the biggest whole i can in the animal of a lifetime and have the greatest chance of recovery if my shot placement happens to not be the best due to buck fever or whatever it may be. Thanks again for all of the help. Keep replying. sill haven't chosen between the 300wsm savage or a 7rum or 300rum sendaro.

sorry bout that I meant the 300 wsm. Though the 270wsm is an adequate round for that range. I would take the 30cal over the 270. Hope this helps.

How much shooting do you do? The RUM's will not allow for as much shooting as the WSM and I've found the more rounds down range make for better shot placement and confidence in the field.

What kind of barrel life can i expect out of the 300rum. i will be doing most of my shooting when load development stage then probably 20 rounds a year for to check sight in and to mess around.

What kind of barrel life can i expect out of the 300rum. i will be doing most of my shooting when load development stage then probably 20 rounds a year for to check sight in and to mess around.

Expect to get 1000 rounds before the barrel losing half its accuracy.

FWIW, I don't think you need to invest in a gun for whitetails, you have that in 270 WSM. If you want to kill an elk at 600 yards, I would go with at least a 7mm or 300 RUM. You can do it with less, but you have the best chance with those. The 7mm with 180 gr VLDs will shoot flatter than the 300.

K just looked at the savage 12 and like it more then the long range hunter. may replace stock and can get it for 900 +300 for possible new stock price at 1200. have the sendaro in 300rum for1550 plus break. i dont know that i need a break for a 300 wsm. so which gun should i choose the300wsm or the 300rum. I will be using 180 or 200 grain accubonds also. scope is still nikon monach 4-16-50 bdc reticle. thanks for all the great help.

If you want something out of the box, then Savage is good. I prefer remington actions, but Savage is good too. Replacing the stock I would caution, unless you are going to pay to have the action bedded. Otherwise, you could be affecting the accuracy of your firearm. If you wan't something custom, I would go with a custom build. Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Sendero, and I would take the break too.

what do others think of the savage 12 dlp in 300wsm has anyone had or shot one. Thanks everyone for the help. I dont know much about savage the only one i have shot is the 17hmr heavy barrel that i have and it seems to shoot good.

1. Forget the Vais brake. It has holes 360 and will kick up a ton of dirt and it is a target brake. You do not want that for hunting. Buy the Holland Radial. Costs less and more effective and better for hunting. IMO you do not need a brake for a WSM (have had 5 of them) anyway.

2. Rem SPS is a crap shoot at best and Sendaro too much for what you get.

3. Go to Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) and buy a Savage target action already timed and tuned for $500 ready to go. SSS and others have 300 WSM barrels already chambered.

4. Either SSS stock or one of the new Stockys stocks for the Savages. Stockys are already clear coated with recoil pad. Best buy for the money right now.

The savage will shoot rings around the other two.

Custom build will run a lot more but be very good.

Tooley Orion action $850
Barrel ($300-325) Hart, Lilja, Broughton, Krieger, Brux, Bartlein (take your pick and who has one ready to go)
Trigger ( $100-240)
Stockys Bobby Hart LR stock $250 (do not get it pillared from Stockys)

Chambering $150-200
Pillar Bedding $150-200

I hunt every year in Chariton County year in the hills and river bottoms just below you. My two rifles for back there are a 24" #3 Lilja in 300 WSM and a bigger 338 Lapua Ack Imp for the really long stuff.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.