Need help with an accurate hunting load in 7MM Remington Mag

Greek54

I am new to this forum as far a posts go, but have followed it for about a year. I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 7MM Remington Mag. It has a 24 inch barrel with a 1 in 9.5 twist rate per factory specs. It has a Swarovski 3-10 scope BRH scope with Talley mounts.

Does anyone have a pet load that they could suggest to narrow my search?

Thanks.

I will give you mine, but you have to work your way up to the correct amount of powder. Reloading takes trial and error and the need to work your way up to a load is important. This combo had worked well in 3 different 7mm and one 7WSM, although I do not recall the exact of powder that one shot.

I use Winchester brass. Full length resized first time through. Checked for length, necks turned, chamfered inside and out.

RL 22 powder. My gun likes 68 grains, the other two like 67 grains. I would start around 65 grains.
Bullet Swift Scirroco 150g
Federal Magnum rifle primer.
You will need to work on the COAL yourself. I do not know mine off hand and each rifle will be different.

Please keep in mine that 68 grains is hot load. At that level through a 26" barrel it shoots .5 moa @ 3240FPS. 67 grains in a 24" barrel usually shoots 3050ish

I don't know what bullet weights you plan on shooting,But this is what is working for me.Reloader-22 is the powder I've had really good luck with.
140gr bullets 69.5grs of Reloader-22
150gr bullets 68grs of Reloader-22
160gr bullets 66.0grs of Reloader-22
175gr bullets 64.0grs of Reloader-22

G54, load my son's 1 -9.25 twist Remington 700 24" with 168 gr Bergers, Hornady brass, 215M primer and H4831SC. Tried three other powders, but this worked best. Very accurate. Remember every rifle is different, a load that shoots great in one rifle may not perform well in another. There is no magic load for any caliber, it takes some research and work. Per Berger's site the 168's will stay stable in 1-10 or faster twist. Always start low and work up in charge weight. Good luck

Thanks guys. All good suggestions. I intend to go elk hunting with the gun so probably looking for 150 and above projectiles. How are thee Berger's on elk size game?

Thanks again.

G54

I have a 26in barrel, but 168gr Berger vld @ 608yrds was a one shot kill. It was devastating, impact right behind the shoulder and dropped him where he stood. I load with retumbo and cci250

G54, every elk I have killed and seen killed with the Berger bullet was DRT or within 25 yards. Shots to the boiler room are devastating. Everyone I hunt and shoot with uses Bergers except 1 who is using old school 45-70. I am sure other bullets kill well so I won't say Bergers are the only bullet, but they do the job for many. Good luck

Last edited:
Have been using Retumbo behind a 160 Partitions lit with Rem 9.5 m primers in a couple of lite 7Mags. They will not win a bench rest match but its a critter getter to 750 yard's.
Don't worry about getting to the lands as they seam to like to jump (3.2 oal in most cases)

G54,
I also got great accuracty with RL22 (67gn) in a 7Mag Sendero pushing either the 150gn Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Swift Scirocco. Both bullets shot .25MOA.
I have a 700P in 7Mag that likes 63.5gn of IMR4350 behind the 150gn Ballistic Tip. This is 1/2 gn above max load (Nosler#6) so you must start low and work in to it. According to my Beta Master it chrono'd at 3240fps. I used this on a 350-400lb Va. black bear at about 15 steps. It penetrated both shoulders and he never twitched another muscle.
I was actually surprised at how fast it killed him. For a while I thought "black bears must be a push over" but came to realize he received all the muzzle energy a 7 Mag has to offer. That is terminal.
Good luck and be careful in your endeavour. JohnnyK.

Tanks for the insights. I am going to try to go with the 168 Berger VLD's on top of Retumbo or Reloader 22. Seems to be a big favorite for elk and accurate. I certainly appreciate the help.

Have worked up two loads in different 7 Rem mags. Both used the 168 Berger classic hunter and Retumbo. These two 26" barreledrifles have different chambers. One was cut with a PTG reamer the other a factory Rem. The custom liked 72.5 gr for 3125 fps the factory liked 73 gr for 3100 fps even. Both were very accurate.

Sorry, yes it was a bull elk. I would not hesitate thinking it was not enough bullet if I had to do it again, after seeing the aftermath

My load is 71grains of retumbo, set 0.005 off the lands cbto. It cronos at 3115 and is verified at 1000yrds. Very accurate load

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts