Need help with an accurate hunting load in 7MM Remington Mag

I ended up with 168 grn vld with 65.5 grns 7828 SSC, produces avg velocity of 2950 out of my 24" Weatherby ultralight weight. Groups at about 1.5" at 200 yds. The cold bore shot is usually about 1-2 inches high, however.

Unfortunately, went on an elk hunt just outside of Delores Colorado, and never saw a bull to relly test it.

RL22 was incredibly accurate with 160 Accubonds, but velocity topped out at 2850. RL25 got me up to 3000 in a 24" barrel (stock Rem 700), and was still 1/2" on average.
Never really felt the need to try other powders as I live on Vancouver Island and don't have huge temp swings in hunting season.

That twist should be just fine for 168's. My 7mmRM's are 9.5 twist, and stabilize 168's with no problem. Your barrel probably just hates H1000. I've found several of my rifles don't like it. None of my 7mmRM's liked Retumbo at all, either. I've still got almost a whole pound of it sitting on the bench, because nothing I have likes it.

muddy i might be wrong but he was referring to the Barnes 168 which are

probably as long or longer than a 180VLD being monolithic

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.