Need help with 2285 yard shot.

I spot for my dad every once and a while when shooting BPCR at 1000yrd and learning how to call an elevation change can be hard when the bullets are dropping in. We need 130-140 MOA to reach 1000yrds and the bullets will actually land behind the target giving the impression that you are hitting when you actually need to drop it down.
The SMK will have more resistance to air flow in the front of the bullet which will make the rear of the bullet destabilize and start wobbling or be real sensitive to any bumping in flight dropping them in front of the target. I think :rolleyes:
My dad was shooting a bullet design that would drop a few right in front of the target every once in a while then just changing to a bullet style that had a better nose profile that move the center of gravity and drag back towards the rear of the bullet straightened them out very well and it took a bunch of MOA of his trajectory.
Some BRCR guys actually use three different bullets to shoot a match, one for super sonic range one for inside the transonic and one sub-sonic, you can cover all three ranges in a weekend of silhouette and longrange.
I wish I had something better than sagebrush and snow to pitch bullets in, your set up looks about as fun as it gets for this kinda thing!

Hope you've made the shot by now but if not ,here is a simple solution. Get a helium filled birthday baloon and tie on a string that is equal in length to the MOA calculated hold over. Tie it to your target on a windless day and use it for an aim point. All you need to adjust is the horizontal. Good luck!!!

Hope you've made the shot by now but if not ,here is a simple solution. Get a helium filled birthday baloon and tie on a string that is equal in length to the MOA calculated hold over. Tie it to your target on a windless day and use it for an aim point. All you need to adjust is the horizontal. Good luck!!!

Interesting idea Paphil.

But sometimes you just have to except the limitations of a cartridge and the bullets available.

Its been a while since I put up this thread. Since then I have made hundreds of shots out to 2K but I am still waiting for a suitable bullet to be available here before going past that again with my .338 Edge. "Groper" may have one in the pipeline and I am awaiting that with interest.
At the moment even with bullets that mostly remain stable through the transonic barrier. I still get about 10% that fall out of the group and hit low.

Interesting coinsidence, LB3.0 says that at 600 ft of altitude using the 338 Hybrid the bullet will still be supersonic just at a max of 1950 yards; this is at a MV of 2860 and standard conditions for the given elevation. And at an altitude of 5000 ft, it will reach a distance of 2285!!! Pretty cool!

To play it safe, do the shooting at 6000 ft of elevation or higher... :) True story!

At 2285 yds, you need to think more like an artillery operator than a rifleman. ;)

Last edited:
I realize that this is a pretty old thread but I would just like to add as a newbie to this long range shooting game...................... Holy crap! I'm hoping to make consistent hits at 600 yrds and your shooting at over 3 times that just for fun. Definately something that I one day hope tp feel confident enough to even try, I'm pretty sure that those days are a more than just a little bit further than my immediate future. Awsome read though:)

Holy crap! I'm hoping to make consistent hits at 600 yrds and your shooting at over 3 times that just for fun. Definately something that I one day hope tp feel confident enough to even try,

for all intents and purposes any shot over 1200 yards is usually "just for fun"

for all intents and purposes any shot over 1200 yards is usually "just for fun"

There is a certain amount of enjoyment, fun if you wish, with any shot at any distance. As years and experience have rolled on things began to shift from "can I make this shot", usually at rocks or gongs, to a genuine expectation of 'making' the shot, out to 1400 yards. Longer distances forthcoming......

Keep in mind any shot at an animal that is not under perfect conditions will not be attempted. By me at least.

There is a certain amount of enjoyment, fun if you wish, with any shot at any distance. As years and experience have rolled on things began to shift from "can I make this shot", usually at rocks or gongs, to a genuine expectation of 'making' the shot, out to 1400 yards. Longer distances forthcoming......

Keep in mind any shot at an animal that is not under perfect conditions will not be attempted. By me at least.

Well said Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.