need HELP with clics

soundwaves

on my scope it sais 1 click 1 cm at 100 meters.

so if my scope is zerod at 200 meters how many clics do l need to go up at 300-400-500 meters useing 175 grain federal hi shock psp 7mm rem mag 24 inch barell?
and the saim question for 150 grain federal hi shocks?

thanks allot.

l always hold over and lm getting futrated of misses :(

You need to start at a place like JBM ballistics , input your load, you should have velocity, and other variables listed.This is your starting point to field verify. You mentioned holding over and missing? what is your reference? If you have mil reticule it will match dial ups. Dont think inclicks, think mils. Example for my rifle, 200 zero, 3-4-500 Yrd. Dropes= .7, 1.4, 2.2 mils, 2.2 = 22 clicks with your method, your turret should be marked in mils,for 500 you would hold same 2.2 mils in reticle if mil type.

I agree with sp6x6.

But, you also need to have a scope with turrets intended for frequent adjustments and having good repeatability. If that's not the case, then you need a new scope or a reticule with Mil Dots or BDC hash marks as a reference.

Using a ballistic calculator is a good first step. But, you can also sight in at 100m and then move to 200m and shoot a group aiming dead center again and then measure the actual drop.

Keep aiming and shooting the same way every time. Don't fiddle with your scope. You just want to shoot tight groups and then measure how much they drop as you move out farther.

Then, move to 300m and do the same. You really need a good range finder as well. Stepping off the distance or just guessing will not be productive.

If you're using factory ammo, the manufacturer should also have velocity/drop table information out to some reasonable distance. It won't exactly match your rifle. But, you should be able to know how big your target paper needs to be to allow for the expected drop.

The farther out you shoot and record decent groups, the better your actual drop table will be. If you can collect sufficient data, you can have custom turrets or perhaps a custom retcule made.

If you can't get consistent groups beyond some distance, then turrets and reticules won't help.

Hope this helps!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.