Need help with 215gr. Hybrid Berger 30.cal.

K.E.C.

Howdy, I have never used 215 Berger, I'm wanting to try them in 300 Rum 26" and 300 Wm. 26" barrels. I have RL= 26,25,23,22,19 and 17. LRT, 869, Retumbo and H1000. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much.

You can't get enough 869 in either case to pressure out with a 215, that's not to say you can't get a good shooting load because you might, but even dropping with a 24" drop tube and vibrating the cases I never even got the cases cleaned up in RUM or WM. By weight you can get an impressive number in them and OK to decent speed but for me I want something fairly close to pressure signs for working loads.

26 will work in the WM, work well too is my guess and I would say it will give you the top velocity possible. I got impressive velocity and accuracy with 212 ELD-X using it with a 24". I haven't tried it in the RUM yet. H1000 would be the standard I would judge the other loads by in the WM I think, I can't recall ever having a load that didn't shoot well with H1000 when it was an appropriate powder for the cartridge and I have had on average excellent results in everything I have loaded with it. Retumbo should also be good in the RUM but I haven't had time to mess with it yet. N570 or RL33 are all I have that I would expect to maybe outperform Retumbo on the RUM. Lots of loads to try and not much time.

I just started playing with 215s as well, I shoot two different factory 300 wby rifles Mark Vs. My testing has showed great speed and accuracy with RL-26, and Decent speed and more accurate with H-1000, I also tried RL-33 with good accuracy in my older 300bee sub 1/2 grouping . Both rifles have 1/10 twist 26" barrels.

RL26 has been good to me in 300PRC with the hybrid, 26" barrel. I am jumping them .070" although they shot well everywhere from .030" and farther. I would've tried H1000 next but RL26 produced what I was after.

Here's an example FWIW with the 225 ELDM

Attachments

• EF7BDE7F-2CB7-439E-9893-19C7E426C80B.jpeg
    EF7BDE7F-2CB7-439E-9893-19C7E426C80B.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 44
You can't get enough 869 in either case to pressure out with a 215, that's not to say you can't get a good shooting load because you might, but even dropping with a 24" drop tube and vibrating the cases I never even got the cases cleaned up in RUM or WM. By weight you can get an impressive number in them and OK to decent speed but for me I want something fairly close to pressure signs for working loads.

26 will work in the WM, work well too is my guess and I would say it will give you the top velocity possible. I got impressive velocity and accuracy with 212 ELD-X using it with a 24". I haven't tried it in the RUM yet. H1000 would be the standard I would judge the other loads by in the WM I think, I can't recall ever having a load that didn't shoot well with H1000 when it was an appropriate powder for the cartridge and I have had on average excellent results in everything I have loaded with it. Retumbo should also be good in the RUM but I haven't had time to mess with it yet. N570 or RL33 are all I have that I would expect to maybe outperform Retumbo on the RUM. Lots of loads to try and not much time.
Thanks for responding, I agree with H1000 , it the powder I go to if others aren't what I like. I have played with 869, and your right, you really can't pressure out. But that's why I play with it, and sometimes it just works. Don't have any 570 or 33, maybe someday I will find some and try it. Thanks

I just started playing with 215s as well, I shoot two different factory 300 wby rifles Mark Vs. My testing has showed great speed and accuracy with RL-26, and Decent speed and more accurate with H-1000, I also tried RL-33 with good accuracy in my older 300bee sub 1/2 grouping . Both rifles have 1/10 twist 26" barrels.
Howdy, I been wanting to try these, been on backorder for 6 months, and then they show up yesterday in the mail. Never shot any thing over 210gr. And that was in 338wm. So now I'm trying to get some info from anyone that's used them. Thanks for your reply. 👍