Need help with 215gr. Hybrid Berger 30.cal.

I've loaded the 215's for 4 different RUM's. 2 Senderos, a SS BDL, and a rebarrled Sendero. From what I've seen, the 300 RUM is easy to find a good load for. I loaded 92 grs of Retumbo for the longest and it worked in all my rifles. But I ran into one particular lot of Retumbo that I had to back down to 88 grs, and then had to change the load to 90 with the next lot. I got some H1000 shortly thereafter and have used it ever since with the same or better accuracy and more lot to lot consistency. With that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to start with Retumbo if I had a bunch of it in the same lot number. But I am a firm believer that H1000 is a more consistent lot to lot powder than Retumbo. One last thing…I chased the velocity with the 300 RUM and 215's for a while, and there is definitely an accuracy node to be had with some impressive velocity, but I'm now at 88 grs of H1000 and 2980 fps with a 28" barrel and with the accuracy I'm getting, I'll stay right there and be happy. I've run the 215 to 3250 with Retumbo in this particular gun but went back to H1000 due to slightly better accuracy and what I figure to be a little longer barrel life.

I've loaded the 215's for 4 different RUM's. 2 Senderos, a SS BDL, and a rebarrled Sendero. From what I've seen, the 300 RUM is easy to find a good load for. I loaded 92 grs of Retumbo for the longest and it worked in all my rifles. But I ran into one particular lot of Retumbo that I had to back down to 88 grs, and then had to change the load to 90 with the next lot. I got some H1000 shortly thereafter and have used it ever since with the same or better accuracy and more lot to lot consistency. With that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to start with Retumbo if I had a bunch of it in the same lot number. But I am a firm believer that H1000 is a more consistent lot to lot powder than Retumbo. One last thing…I chased the velocity with the 300 RUM and 215's for a while, and there is definitely an accuracy node to be had with some impressive velocity, but I'm now at 88 grs of H1000 and 2980 fps with a 28" barrel and with the accuracy I'm getting, I'll stay right there and be happy. I've run the 215 to 3250 with Retumbo in this particular gun but went back to H1000 due to slightly better accuracy and what I figure to be a little longer barrel life.
Thank you very much, I am thinking of doing just what you have done. Start with Retumbo, see what happens. Then go to H 1000, again thank you. 👍

Thank you very much, I am thinking of doing just what you have done. Start with Retumbo, see what happens. Then go to H 1000, again thank you. 👍
While trying out the Retumbo, do not be afraid to try the LRT, too; it supposedly has the same burn rate. Many folks are having great success with them when Retumbo is unobtanium. LRT is cheaper and a lot more available at this time. Good luck!

Ed

While trying out the Retumbo, do not be afraid to try the LRT, too; it supposedly has the same burn rate. Many folks are having great success with them when Retumbo is unobtanium. LRT is cheaper and a lot more available at this time. Good luck!

Ed
Howdy, I have been wanting to try LRT. I have a 5lb jug . I called Berger they don't have any recipes for it. Wanted to try LRT and 869 , found recipes for both in 200gr and 220, between the two I have come up with starting area. 869 as mentioned above, I believe I could fill the case of 300rum and still not pressure out. I done that with my 264wm and found a good load. Lots of loads to try, now I need to find time . Thank you for sharing your experience. 👍