Need brass annealing advice

That's what I just purchases too. The film I watch added a little to it. He had cut different copper tubing to a size that he then placed under the torch mounting devices to set the height of the torches. Marked them to what case it was for. That way that set a predetermine height for the case he was going to anneal.

Anyone annealed the nickel plated Winchester cases

Thanks
Buck
I do it all the time on my 280 brass after I fire form in my 280 AI.Pictured on the left is a factory Winchester 280 piece of brass. On the right is my 7 mm Remington magnum after AMP annealing

Attachments

• 6DB05175-B40D-4A0E-B51D-B657FD9E18ED.jpeg
    6DB05175-B40D-4A0E-B51D-B657FD9E18ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • 03510935-7840-4DD2-A226-F88FA4A0F482.jpeg
    03510935-7840-4DD2-A226-F88FA4A0F482.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
That is a great price. Even if you only spent $150 for a salt bath DYI system you could have more than 1,000 pieces processed before you broke even. Now I have to look around here for someone who does that.
If you feel like mailing a big batch of them I will do them for $.15 a piece in my amp Marc II

OK, so after watching the video of the annealeez machine in action, and at the risk of sounding ingnernt, why couldn't a person just manually anneal using a Bernz-o-matic propane torch?

OK, so after watching the video of the annealeez machine in action, and at the risk of sounding ingnernt, why couldn't a person just manually anneal using a Bernz-o-matic propane torch?

Many do. I bought the anealeez for the hopper and the adjustable/repeatable time. I knew I wouldn't be able to get the results I wanted from the torch by hand or I would drive myself crazy chasing them.

I am still experimenting with it and trying for myself the various methods stated here and elsewhere (750 inside the neck, dull red glow, etc). I just got 475 tempilaq for the base and found that even on very long settings the base is not heating enough to damage it. Even just past dull red glow I haven't had any brass go dead soft. I did have to work up new loads with the annealed brass and found I had just barely moved out of my prior node, accuracy was what I would expect with this bullet/powder combo, so I can't say its necessarily better, but the difference vs the 6 times fired brass I started with during sizing and seating was noticeable.

Pretty simple really. I annealed 180 cases last Sunday using my MRB. It took maybe 30 minutes with exact repeatability.

A torch and drill would have taken at least 3x as long and would not be as consistent.

I can work on other reloadimg things while it runs amd just pay attention to it.

I use salt bath annealing and was not sure if it worked with the information AMP put out so I took 10 30-06 cases that were fired enough times that the primers did not fit well so instead of throwing them away I used them to find out in salt bath annealing works.
I heated to around 500 degrees cel and put the cases in for 10 seconds instead of 6 seconds.
I put them in water and dried all 10 cases and then I tried to load a 150 gr bullet into the cases and all 10 crushed at the shoulder.That was an example of over annealing and if salt bath did not work then why did the cases crush at the shoulder?
Something happened!
AMP would say I am not an engineer and not qualified to make a statement like I did but something happened!
I am not sure if a hardness tester like the one I have is a true marker of annealing or not but soon I will sacrifice 2 good brass cases that have been fired a few times and check the Brinell hardness in the shoulder and then the neck and then salt bath anneal the cases and test them again to see the Brinell hardness numbers change and will let you guys know.
Having some health problems so it won't be tomorrow and I have to shoot some loaded ammo to get the brass.
Old Rooster

Anealeez works great as long as you get it set up right. My problem with it is after purchase support. The adjustment valve for the fuel canister froze up on mine, so I emailed them about it. I got no response at all. That was over a year ago, and it was less than a year old when this happened.

But I will say, when I started annealing regularly after 1 or 2 firings I noticed my ES/SDs stay low from the beginning through 10 reloads.

I went DIY rig as well, think I have about $70 into it. Works great and a fun build.

Attachments

• IMG_20170310_111747.jpg
    IMG_20170310_111747.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.