Need Advice

HunterGreen

Hello Fellow Shooter. Hope all is well.

Take a look at these cases, I am going thru a bunch of cases for reloading. Base has a discoloration line. Wondering if these cases are garbage or should I risk it and full length size.

Attachments

• 20210228_154239.jpg
    20210228_154239.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 176
  • 20210228_154236.jpg
    20210228_154236.jpg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 145

Take a look at these cases, I am going thru a bunch of cases for reloading. Base has a discoloration line. Wondering if these cases are garbage or should I risk it and full length size.
It looks to me that is where the die stop sizing it

Do these chamber in your rifle they look like they've been fired with some hot loads they are actually slightly enlarged near the base

Last edited:

Do these chamber in your rifle they look like they've been fired with some hot loads they are actually slightly enlarged near the base
I received these cases from ol friend. I ll have to FL them since their not fired from my 7mag.

I have been reloading little over 15yrs and never seen this. Was thinking paper clip test 🤔... all my reloads from new to last are sorted and logged.

I have a competition coming up, sure wouldn't want head separated. 338, it's hard to throw away few hundred cases 😕

In the picture there is one case that worries me for exactly the reason you mention where the darker spot is there actually looks like shiny cracks or scratches in that area I would probably chuck that one for sure and look for that on any others

EAD3F2AE-BE4E-4448-8D8F-16FD602C85EE.jpeg

You definitely right bud. I think I ll FL size couple and see if ring goes away. I ll scap them all. Not risking it. What ****es me off, these are Lapua brass, good stuff.

You definitely right bud. I think I ll FL size couple and see if ring goes away. I ll scap them all. Not risking it. What ****es me off, these are Lapua brass, good stuff.
I would not worry so much about the dark ring it's the shiny cracks that worry me try to Full length resize them if they chamber and they resize properly I think you'll be OK just look for what I have circled in the picture on any cases you decide to keep keep

You may need to get one of the Innovative Technologies sizing dies for belted magnums. They will size the last little bit above the belt.
As earlier stated, I would check for impending case head separations before I wasted much time.
Never heard of this company. I ll check them out

I shoot two 7RM's. Paper clip test, if they are good just resize and tumble. I also get those types of marks on my brass and I'm still reloading with those brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.