Need advise on first custom build. What to do?

sledneck84

Hey everyone, I have a remington 700 BDL chambered in a 7mm Ultra Mag. I bought the gun new a few years back and it has never shot worth a hoot. Had it to various gunsmiths and no one can seem to figure it out. Because of this it has never been used for hunting, just sits in the gun safe. Last fall i messed with it myself and got it shooting a little better but not to good. So anyways i bought a custom stock for it and want to start a custom build. I don't neccesarilly have to use that gun just thought i could use the action off it since i already have it. Wondering what everyone thinks, do i build another ultra mag? What components are recommended? such as barrel,trigger,custom receiver work, etc. Trying to build a good long range hunting gun for deer and elk is the final goal. Please let me hear what you think or what you would do.

Thanks Everyone,
Alan

Funny you ask. Take a look at today's threads. A guy is selling a 3 1/2 contour stainless barrel by Hart in 7mm with a 10 twist for $290 shipped. I'd get the action trued and married to this barrel in another 7RUM. Good to go with a good bedding job.

Good luck with whatever you do.

What caliber you go with is a matter of preference as you have several options with your boltface. Obviously, all the rem ultra mags will work so if you wanted to step up to a 30 cal or 338 you could.

The best way would be to send your rifle to a good smith and have him do all the work at once in his shop. You said you bought a new stock....... if you like have it bedded, if not replace it. I like McMillan A5 stocks which is tactical style stock if you are not familiar with it. For a trigger, go with Jewel, My custom rifles have mainly Lilja barrels, but others such as Hart and Krieger for example are good barrels.

It is important to have good smith do the barrel chambering and installation, and have him true up the action at the same time. I have only worked with one smith on this site, Kirby Allen (Fiftydriver), he has built 3 rifles for me and working on number 4. I also have a rifle I bought used that was built by Shawn Carlock (Defensive Edge) it is a great shooter as well. There are other smiths that hang out on this site that I am sure do great work as well, but these are the two I have personal experience with them or their rifles. Unless you are experienced at gun smith work, I would recommend you simply contact the smith of your choice, discuss the build options and have him do all the work. When you get the rifle back, it will be FINISHED and it will be RIGHT. The temptation is to start piece-mealing a rifle together......... change the stock..... then the trigger.........etc. In the long run you will spend just as much money, in my opinion wait till you can have the full build done, send it in and get a great shooting rifle back.

If you are going to stay within 26inches of barrel length and you want to shoot factory ammo, IMHO, a 338RUM would be an excellent choice. If you are good with a 28+ tube and you plan to load your own, why not pick up the extra FPS and go with a 338Edge.

Thanks for the replys guys. I am planning on sending it in to a smith and having them work it over. I would rather have it right the first time. My biggest concern is what caliber to go with and who to send it to. And what to all have done. I'm not very familiar with .30 cal rifles. i have never owned one. Also have never been around all the custom calibers out there. I am going to start loading my own rounds, so hand loads is fine. I have 2 friends that hand load everything they own so they are going to help me get into it. I am ultimately looking for a great performing hunting rifle out of the deal. I have an h&S stock with the aluminum block built in it, is that a good stock to use? Sorry for all the questions i just have never dealt with this level of guns before. Never had the money. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks

HS stocks are fine. I have several and they are comfortable and the rifles with those stocks shoot as well as any I own with McM stocks.

I've been researching the 338 edge now for a couple hours. It looks like a sweet ride. Does it perform well at shorter ranges also? I want something fairly versatile since not every shot will be over 500 yards. Also been looking at different gun smiths. There are quite a few on here that come highly recommended, is one better with the 338 edge than another? I am getting kind of pumped up about this and want to make sure i get it right the first time. thanks again.

I use kevin Weaver at. WWW.weaverrifles. com. One hell of a Guy and Smith. Very easy to talk with, answers his phone and emails in a very timely manner. He's also a full time Smith and only bolt guns which means he turns them pretty fast considering the wait times that can be involved with some of the materials. Just my 2 cents worth.

i had a 7 ultra, turned it into an edge and couldn't be happier...except the shells don't go off once in a while. but that's another story!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.