Need Advice Please

pawhitetail

I'm going to be getting a Rem 700 Long Range in 300 RUM. My glass budget is $700. I'm looking at a leupold vx3 4.5-14 or a vortex viper ffp 4-16. What do you recommend? Will be used on steel and deer or elk. Looking to really be able to stretch this one out. Thanks guys

Yeah I have a vortex viper pa 6.5-20x44 and it's pretty nice for the money but I'm leaning towards a leupold this time. The vortex don't seem to have quite the light transmission I thought it would. It's clear glass just not that bright? It could just be me or just the fact I haven't had them exactly side by side.

My family and myself have used Shepherds scopes and have successfully killed elk and dongers out to 1000 yards for many years with there built in range finder. We like Leupolds optics which for the money are as good as Swarovski but I don't think you can get a good ranging reticle for under $1000. Shepherds are about 750 with good light transmission. By the way we haven't had a bushnell last through a box of 300 Winmags.

I recently purchased a vortex myself and the later found out that the Leupolds optics test superior to Vortex on light and clarity so I may trade my wife back for the Sheperds until I can afford a Huskemaw or Nightforce with Adjustable turrets.

I'm going to be getting a Rem 700 Long Range in 300 RUM. My glass budget is $700. I'm looking at a leupold vx3 4.5-14 or a vortex viper ffp 4-16. What do you recommend? Will be used on steel and deer or elk. Looking to really be able to stretch this one out. Thanks guys

I don't want to assume anything but have you considered brass availability. Having said that, unless you have a stock of brass, I'd go with .300 Win Mag and save yourself the headache in a quest for an additional 200 FPS or so.

Good luck!

I don't want to assume anything but have you considered brass availability. Having said that, unless you have a stock of brass, I'd go with .300 Win Mag and save yourself the headache in a quest for an additional 200 FPS or so.

Good luck!

And what is your idea of stretching it out? Most guys opt for a lot more scope when you're getting near that 1k-2k mark.

Yeah I agree but if I stay with vortex or leupold in my price range the next step is usually 6.5-20 which I personally don't think I want that high of a bottom end. The vx6 in 4-24 would be nice but that's a big step in price. Maybe I should be looking at another brand? With a mag I would like to go at least the 1k Mark if not a couple hundred further

Yeah I agree but if I stay with vortex or leupold in my price range the next step is usually 6.5-20 which I personally don't think I want that high of a bottom end. The vx6 in 4-24 would be nice but that's a big step in price. Maybe I should be looking at another brand? With a mag I would like to go at least the 1k Mark if not a couple hundred further

Thats 300wm territory honestly. Another thing to consider is managing the recoil of a RUM. The 300wm recoil is manageable but you'll probably want to brake a 300RUM then you lose your hearing if you forget your ear plugs.

I'm w/ feenix, I think a 300wm may be a better fit. I strongly suggest looking into the differences and your actual needs are regarding this choice. This may prevent you from buying a safe queen, or should I say a safe squatter.

I actually have a thread in the rifle section about this. I'm leaning towards the win mag just because of brass availability. I like the RUM but I also want to be able to shoot it not just look for brass for it. The brass I have found for the ultra is like $2.50 a piece which is nuts. Might as well have a 338 lapua if paying that much for brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.