Need some advice

That escalated quickly.
I personally have pointed guns at all sorts of chit I didn't intend to shoot..... and then didn't shoot it.

I have used my scope to enjoy looking at deer that I did not intend to shoot. There is a safety device on my rifle called a trigger. Keep your finger off unless you are going to fire the rifle.

That fine I know not to get any advice from u huntsman I was also told never pull a gun on an armed Man unless u really intend to pull that trigger for protection and I have looked at many things thru my scope and have never pulled the trigger cause I know how to keep my safety on and keep my finger of the trigger unless I shoot something and I only shoot to eat so I'm glad I'm a dumb **** and don't worry I won't ask for any advice from a great and perfect man like u that is way more special because u have some Binos

You and Rich should partner up for some hunts. You guys could sit around the fire at night and tell stories of all the game you 'glassed' thru your scopes, and didn't shoot at. You could regale each other with stories of your superb trigger finger control, and compliment each other on all those great 'safety features' your rifles possess. And just think how smug you both will be, when you realize how much money you saved by not buying binocs......

So that big buck walks out in your shooting lane and you know that you've got maybe 6-8 seconds to get off a shot. Would you rather be holding your rifle or a pair of binos? It also doesn't hurt to practice with your weapon in real world situations instead of just sitting at a bench. Lots of good info on this forum, but it also has it's fair share of know-it-alls. You'll get guys saying a few ounces on a scope doesn't matter, but then they'll say you need a short action to save weight! At least they didn't tell you to get a Sherman short or a 7mm STW. They seem to make their way into every other thread on here. Personally, I love my Leupold vx-6 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

You and Rich should partner up for some hunts. You guys could sit around the fire at night and tell stories of all the game you 'glassed' thru your scopes, and didn't shoot at. You could regale each other with stories of your superb trigger finger control, and compliment each other on all those great 'safety features' your rifles possess. And just think how smug you both will be, when you realize how much money you saved by not buying binocs......

Who the F ****ed in your Wheaties Bro!!
I use my scope for looking at animals all the friggin time, there's a difference between scanning all over the place and zooming in on an animal with a high power scope.
For scanning then yes a compact pare of binos is the way to go

Hello all I currently run a nightforce SHV 5-20x56 illuminated reticle and I'm just a deer hunter longest shot I can take on my land is 650yd and was wondering about selling the scope to buy a lighter scope still want about the same magnification since I use the scope as Binos as well
What would be a good hunting scope don't matter if I have to dial or hold over or should I just stick with my current scope
Don't let the haters get to you man, I joined this forum when I was your age and despite a few know it all D-bags I've learned a lot on here.
I would also recommend the MK5, the 3.6-18x44 is an awesome scope and weighs 25.4 Oz, I just got the MOA model.
If you want SFP then maybe a VX6HD 3-18x50.
I think you're on the right track, a heavy scope sucks for hunting closer ranges.
It might not seem like 8-10 Oz is much but it definitely effects how a rifle handles.
Good luck

I have had a hard time 'lightening up' when it comes to gun safety, ever since my neighbor accidently shot his best friend to death, during deer season when I was a kid......

DIBs, when you find a lighter scope I'll take that NF off your hands. Hit me up with a PM. By the way every year I point my rifle at bulls and bucks, look through my Zeiss or NF cranked up on 25 and make a choice too shot or not. I also carry a pair of Zeiss binos which I use to spot said game in the first place. It can be done safely, no animal or person has ever been shot by an unloaded rifle, I guarantee it.
OPEN THE BOLT
LOOK IN THE CHAMBER
CONFIRM IT IS EMPTY
REPEAT
KEEP SAFETY ENGAGED
KEEP FINGER OFF TRIGGER
USE SCOPE AS NEEDED.

I must just have good eyes, cuz I dont need magnification to find animals, I just need it to determine whether or not I'm going to shoot said animal, so doing that through my scope seems to make sense...crosshairs already on it, decide it's a shooter flip the safety, move my finger onto the trigger then drop it. But I havent hunted somewhere with more than a 200yd shot in a long time. Most places I ever get to hunt its 100yds, that's it. Brush so thick you can only see down the senderos to the feeder.

Thanks fellas I'm looking at the mark 5 and now I'll be looking at a vx6hd
I recently got a good deal on a vx3i that is going on my bush gun and it's a decent looking scope

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.