Need advice for a 20" Bull barrel 6.5 Creedmoor

ncwg2boatguy

First off. Didnt build it. Came in a 2 gun trade for another rifle. Figured can rebarrel later if needed.
Specs:
Savage 10 FCP/SR converted from 223 to 6.5 Creed
20" 1-8 Criterion Match barrel w/target crown
Bedded Choate tactical Stock.
What I have on hand.
140 RDF
140 ELD-M
RL17
RL19
IMR4350
Looking for suggestions if anyone has loaded for a short barrel 6.5Creed.
Thanks..

How much jump is that? I got a jug of RL16 last night. I know SRP brass holds a bit more pressure. I have Hornady and ADG. But it's LRP. Thanks for your input.

One of my loads I've had good luck with is 42 grains IMR 4350 (this is a max load per Hornady manual so work up to it) 143 ELD X, and a CCI 200 primer. Has worked well I two 20" barrel and one 24". Not super fast but around 2600 fps and vary accurate.

Bullet: 143gr ELD-X
Powder: 42.5gr RL-16 (highest node in three of my 6.5 Creedmoors, with no excess pressure signs)
Case: Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor (trimmed to 1.920" every time)
Primer: Federal 210
COAL: 2.798" (my maximum usable magazine length)
Velocity(s): 2,703 to 2,741 fps average @ 78°F at sea-level (depending on which rifle. 2,712 fps avg. @ 78°F for my RAP 20" shortened barrel rifle)
Accuracy (5 rnd groups): <1MOA to just under 1/2MOA (depending on which rifle)

*Reduce load by at least 5% (2.1gr for the above load) for starting load.

Two things that I would suggest, Is to measure Max COAL with each bullet or at least the one you want to use to see what your chamber will take.

This will tell you the throat you have and also measure the maximum Magazine length so you will know what parameters you can work within.

I never recommend using someone else's COAL because all chambers are not created equal. Unless you want to single load it, start with Magazine length minus .010 to .020. if the bullets will chamber (Some wont depending on how your chamber is throated). You can play with seating depth after you find an accurate load to tweek the accuracy. Seating depth alone will not necessarily get you accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts