6.5 Creedmoor, 20" Barrel, load data?

Buzzsaw

bolt gun with 20" Proof Research, carbon wrapped barrel, 1-8 twist.
Gun will be for hunting (bullets) and LR steel (match bullets)

Whats working for you in your shorter barreled rifles?

ive had a few 22'' 6.5 CM's. all of them found top accuracy with any 140 grain bullet seated sammi spec. length somewhere between 41.0-42.5 grains H4350. FGM210 primer.

yes, I'm trying to save myself a ladder test, seeing whats working in other 20" barrels. I'll start with factories, run the velocities and hunt with them this season, then concentrate on a handload

6.5 Creedmoor is about the most tolerant and easy to load for cartridge. I'v got 3 that I load for and putting together another for comp shooting.

Have had great results with reloder 16 in multiple 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. It has given a solid 100-150fps over similar loads using H4350.

In my 22" Bergara HMR I'm currently running 43.3gr under a Hornady 143gr ELD-X for an avg 2791fps with SD of 9.5, and produces ~.3MOA groups in this combo. Pressure is generally good, but I did have a pierced primer last time I shot where ambient temps were 100+ in the shade and was noticing some faint ejector marks on the other cases. RE16 is magic in the 6.5 and as far as I can tell it is very forgiving as the worst accuracy I had during load testing was .7MOA, I took the load data for the 142gr SMK from Alliant and then started about 3grs lower and worked up in .3gr increments.

I have a 22" rem sps tac and shoot 135 berger classic hunters. Using H4831. 15 round group 1.2",13 of the rounds went into 0.8". It is a little bit lighter load 2575fps, but dispersion is great, so not messing with increased charges.

Hey everyone, I am working on a load for a creed in the browning hells canyon with a 22 inch barrel. I have both rl 16 and h4350. I am looking for accuracy as well as the highest accurate velocity possible. I loaded 40.5 g of RL 16 with the 143 elder. It shot the best compared to 41 and 41.5. I feel like this velocity will be quite low however. Do you think I should test for a higher node? Does it pay to test h4350 if I want the velocity that RL is supposed to give? Thanks!

Hey everyone, I am working on a load for a creed in the browning hells canyon with a 22 inch barrel. I have both rl 16 and h4350. I am looking for accuracy as well as the highest accurate velocity possible. I loaded 40.5 g of RL 16 with the 143 elder. It shot the best compared to 41 and 41.5. I feel like this velocity will be quite low however. Do you think I should test for a higher node? Does it pay to test h4350 if I want the velocity that RL is supposed to give? Thanks!

I'd be inclined to try and push up to the next node with RE16 and check your velocity again. I'm at 43.3 in my 22" Bergara HMR. Like most of my other experiences with Alliant powders, SD/ES shrink considerably the closer you get to max pressure. My load is pretty warm, I'd definitely work up to it in a different rifle, but once I got my firing pin bushed for running small rifle primers, I dont have any pressure signed to speak up, 2 firings in and still havent needed to trim my brass.

My RE16 loads yield 2791fps from my 22" barrel with an SD of 9.8 (15round sample size). I shot a 3 shot group at 850yds last weekend that I could cover with my palm. If I load to similar pressures I'm getting about 150fps slower running H4350, same bullet (143gr ELD-X) as you are using. Unless you cant get good consistency with the RE16, I wouldn't bother with H4350. For heavies out of shorter Creedmoor barrels it just doesn't give as much speed.

I'd be inclined to try and push up to the next node with RE16 and check your velocity again. I'm at 43.3 in my 22" Bergara HMR. Like most of my other experiences with Alliant powders, SD/ES shrink considerably the closer you get to max pressure. My load is pretty warm, I'd definitely work up to it in a different rifle, but once I got my firing pin bushed for running small rifle primers, I dont have any pressure signed to speak up, 2 firings in and still havent needed to trim my brass.

My RE16 loads yield 2791fps from my 22" barrel with an SD of 9.8 (15round sample size). I shot a 3 shot group at 850yds last weekend that I could cover with my palm. If I load to similar pressures I'm getting about 150fps slower running H4350, same bullet (143gr ELD-X) as you are using. Unless you cant get good consistency with the RE16, I wouldn't bother with H4350. For heavies out of shorter Creedmoor barrels it just doesn't give as much speed.
Awesome, thank you! I am using federal large rifle match primers, but will look at finding the next node. I would love to see it shoot with 43 grains!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.