Need a new scope in the $1000 range

We aren't going anywhere (at least I'm not) with the getting thicker/thinner reticle lines because I'm a SFP person. Just stating what I've read elsewhere.

I said on a previous post.......

"Me, I have a G7 so it's not an issue. Keep in mind that the FFP will cost more and then there is the reticle cross hair size/growth issue. If I didn't have a good rangefinder, I'd have a FFP. As it is, I don't need one........

Though I like the Vortex better than most offerings, any will be good and all the manufacturers/importers will stand behind them. It's just good business..."

Custom turrets are available from all the leading (unit wise) suppliers, so thats not a big deal.

It all distills down to personal choice and size of pocketbook (or wallet)....

Maybe once I get a load right dialed in for it I might think about the custom turret. Whatever they have available when I go next Monday I'll pick up. I need it so I can start shooting for upcoming hunting season. My old scope just isn't cutting it anymore. If they have the FFP I'll take that as its what I originally wanted but if not then the SFP would also be fine, wouldn't really hurt my feelings. Just wanted to try something new. Still gonna look at some of the other brands as well.

If you are hunting with it take into consideration the warranty. Vortex Viper PST has the no fault warranty. I have several vortex products and love every one of them.

I recommend the FFP, so at all levels of magnification the reticle represents the same measurements.

My .02 cents.

We aren't going anywhere (at least I'm not) with the getting thicker/thinner reticle lines because I'm a SFP person. Just stating what I've read elsewhere.

I think you misread or what you read was flat wrong. The reticle pattern is part of what gets zoomed in. Yes, the lines appear thicker when you zoom in, because you are zooming in on them, but the background target area is being zoomed in at the same rate of magnification. If the target is 1 mil wide at 6x, it's still going to be 1 mil wide at 24x. That 1 mil is going to take up a lot more of the field of view as you zoom in, but it's still going to be 1 mil on the reticle pattern.

It's no different than superimposing a reticle patter on a jpeg and then zooming in on that area of the picture. The reticle is going to look bigger, but so is everything else. Does that make sense?

As demonstrated here:
Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum=

If the left side of an object you're aiming at is at the left 10 subtension, and the right side is at the right 10 subtension, while at 6x, it's still going to be at the same left and right 10 subtensions when zoomed at 24x, but it's going to take up that much more of the field of view. Saying the lines get thicker is true, but the target gets thicker at the same rate, so I'm not sure what the point is when people say that about the reticle pattern.

If you want the lines to stay the same thickness, perhaps in an attempt to glass with the scope instead of binos, then maybe a SFP scope is the way to go.

I don't personally see the point of getting a scope with any reticle pattern with subtensions of any sort unless it's FFP, otherwise it's useless at all other magnification settings and just clutters up the view. But that's just my opinion.

Check out the Zeiss conquest line for around $1000 and the ranges you're wanting to shoot..I bet you'll like its glass over Vortex, and its been proven a reliable and repeatable scope as it was tested against bigger 30mm scopes as seen on scope tests on www.6mmBR.com/ They've got a strong track record of performance among many on here too.

I love the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scope and that is why I have 3 of them.

Vortex customer service has been very good to me and I highly recommend them.

Another thing to consider besides the FFP or SFP is the choice between MOA or Mil?

I chose MOA because that is what I have always used since 10 years old and I am familiar with it.

For your application I would look at the Zeiss. It is lighter and more compact than the big PST.

If you really want one of the bigger scopes, I would go with the Sightron. I have both the PST and the Sightron SIII LRMOA. I like the PST it has a zero stop and illuminated reticle the SIII does not. Still for $100 dollars more the Sightron is twice the scope. The glass is much better in my SIII than my Pst. I also like the reticle in the sightron much better. The focus knob is another difference between the two. The PST has yards on it the SIII does not. I need the yards on the vortex in order to focus it fast because it never gets crisp enough to tell. The SIII focus is very easy to get crystal clear and parallax free.

I like my PST it works well, the SIII is just in another league IMHO.

For your application I would look at the Zeiss. It is lighter and more compact than the big PST.

If you really want one of the bigger scopes, I would go with the Sightron. I have both the PST and the Sightron SIII LRMOA. I like the PST it has a zero stop and illuminated reticle the SIII does not. Still for $100 dollars more the Sightron is twice the scope. The glass is much better in my SIII than my Pst. I also like the reticle in the sightron much better. The focus knob is another difference between the two. The PST has yards on it the SIII does not. I need the yards on the vortex in order to focus it fast because it never gets crisp enough to tell. The SIII focus is very easy to get crystal clear and parallax free.

I like my PST it works well, the SIII is just in another league IMHO.

The Sightron 6-24x50s are about $100 cheaper than the Viper PSTs at Liberty Optics, but I can't find info there or on Sightron's site about whether or not their scopes are FFP/SFP.

I have both a Zeiss and PST in 6 X 20 powers. I favor the PST. Don't get me wrong the Zeiss is a great scope but i can't justify spending the extra $250-300 again for maybe a little higher quality glass. The PST does have a zero stop and illuminated redicle which the Zeiss does not. The thing I don't like about the Zeiss is the turrets adjust oposite of normal (Counter clockwise go's down instead of up) Just my opinion PST is better for the money.

I have both a Zeiss and PST in 6 X 20 powers. I favor the PST. Don't get me wrong the Zeiss is a great scope but i can't justify spending the extra $250-300 again for maybe a little higher quality glass. The PST does have a zero stop and illuminated redicle which the Zeiss does not. The thing I don't like about the Zeiss is the turrets adjust oposite of normal (Counter clockwise go's down instead of up) Just my opinion PST is better for the money.

That's why I bought the PST. I got a lot of recommendations that the bang for the buck starts to get smaller and smaller as you go higher in price.

Are there scopes better out there? Absolutely. Do I need a $3,000 optic to shoot paper, steel, and non-dangerous mammals? Nope.

If glass is more important than zero stop and lit reticle, I would pursue the sightron. If those other features or ffp are on the menu then your back to the pst.

There is always the used market. A used Husky or S&B can be had for less than a grand or a Leupy Mark 4, all with excellent, transfereable guarantees so if you purchase used and it has any issues, returning it to the manufacturer should cure them.

Something to ponder.

Just because it's preowned don't make it junk.

.........and, I can live with light ring marks because the previous owner didn't have the foresight to lap the rings. I prefer none, but light marks or a nicked turret don't detract from the tracking or thr clarity of the glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.