Need a new scope

That is a really cool, and neat lookin wrap you have on that gun in the pic you sent Joseph!! What's it called, and who makes it??

It is called a Kane Rifle Chap. I have had mine for at least 10 years and it has protected my BARs stock which when taken off looks like brand new. One of the better things I have bought for my shooting sports. I thought they went out of business years ago, but I just Googled it and I think you can still get them. If you can find one to fit your firearm I would jump on it. If they did go out of business it would be a real shame. :):):):)

Kane Gun Chaps For Winchester 1300 Pump Shotgun GC 75 Advantage on eBay!

kane rifle chaps - Google Search

joseph

PS: I wrapped electrical tape around the velcro flap to stop it from making noise when it touched my coat. I did not buy it for looks. I bought it to protect a brand new rifle which it has done for many many years.

Attachments

• 30-06 BAR .JPG
    30-06 BAR .JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 90
Daryl,

I'm puzzled why you're puzzled about how the Signature rings work. Think pillow block bearings on a shaft and it should become clear.

A shaft supported by two (misaligned) pillow block bearings has no stress and is held in alignment. The offset inserts are like shims that allow either pillow block to be offset left, right, up or down by a known amount. The spacing between blocks is known, so the offset amount needed to correct any alignment error is easily calculated. Does that help?

I understand the principle of self alignment with a spherical interface. What I don't understand is how you can dial in a cant in the scope. The ring sets will self align, that has nothing to do with an artificial inclination. Thats what I'm puzzled about.

The std inserts are stamped 0 and are both the same thickness, the 10moa inserts are one that is +10 and one stamped -10 and the thicknesses are as such, one thick and one thin!! If that helps with the big picture at all??!!

Thanx for the info Joseph! I just think its a pretty slick lil coat, and for the record I think the tape was the final touch it needed to finish it off!! Ha!!

Hey sidecar, dirtty here, maybe you remember me from previous posts??!! Anyway, as you know I am new to the lr scene, and I too bought into the hype of the burris Sig rings!!!

Based on the the fact that I believe you know what you're talking about, your statement has me concerned that I might be screwing up!!!

The way I understand it, and actually see it(since I actually have them) is when I use my 10, 20, ect insert in the rear ring the 0 insert in the front ring actually cants or rotates itself, then you tighten both rings and there is no bind on the tube.

Now that last paragraph was more of a question rather than a statement of "I know what I am talkin about"!!! So please if you have any input, advice, or knowledge you care to share, I am all ears!!!

Or anybody else that would care to chime in, feel free!!!

You are 100% correct, the tube does NOT experience binding using these rings. I have used them very successfully to get elevation for long range shooting. The design allows canting of the scope by having a convex/concave relationship between the insert and the ring body, a slick and relatively inexpensive solution for scope that does not have the elevation range using standard mounts. I have not tried them on my heavy recoiling rifles being cautious about the inserts' ability to provide the grip to the scope under the high recoil force, but this caution is unproven.

I have not tried them on my heavy recoiling rifles being cautious about the inserts' ability to provide the grip to the scope under the high recoil force, but this caution is unproven.

I have used them with complete success on a 6.5 pound .300 WSM with no brake and a fairly heavy scope.

Bob

Just a thought, but I try to avoid buying scopes this close to SHOT. You may want to hold off just a bit and see what new scopes hit the streets before making a decision.

With all the discounted scopes I have seen this fall I would guess there are going to be a number of new models out from a few of the top tiers manufacturers I would be looking at.

Zeiss has already released their new Conquest HD line. They look promising.

I know Bushnell has new scopes coming as does SWFA in their SS line.

Out to 800 yards you don't need a lot of scope so you may be able to save some money there and get into a better brand. 10-15 on the top end would be plenty IMO.

+1 for the Burris Signature rings. They work as advertised in every respect. I have them on over a 1/2 dozen guns. That would save you some money that yo could apply toward your scope.

Scot E.

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

slightly over your budget. i have a 3-9 ffp mil/mil on my .308 and love it. glass is great to me and its not even the HD glass. also look into vortex pst. no personal experience with current leupolds, but i have read a lot of poor reviews and they are overpriced imho.
I picked one up on this site,5-20x50.Cant wait to compare to my Mark 4 mil/mil,cost was $1000,and looked in excellent shape

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts