Need a new scope in the $1000 range

Never said it was strange or scary. better read the post and then comment......

"
Snipers Hide... Kind of a strange name for a forum that addresses legal firearm ownership. It brings to mind warfare and covert stuff in my eyes.

In my eyes, otherwise known as IMO.

I'll ignore the last post. It's not worth answering.

I say again, what's strange, k?

What's strange about the name and what does the strangeness of the name have to do with the legality of firearms? Being a "sniper" is not illegal, nor is owning firearms and weapon systems that can be called "sniper rifles."

I've heard that forum was originally started as a hangout for snipers, professional operators, military and police. Some of those personnel are involved in covert warfare, others not so much.

I guess I don't understand what you think is strange about the name.

I'm between the PST, Zeiss and what is so great with the Sightron III? Are they especially good at something? Glass brighter and better at the edges?

I'm between the PST, Zeiss and what is so great with the Sightron III? Are they especially good at something? Glass brighter and better at the edges?

If you want an FFP scope for ranging or any kind of true measurement using the reticle, the Sightrons are out. If I'm using anything other than an FFP scope, I'd want as clear and minimalist reticle as possible. I don't see the point of having much of anything other than a pair of crosshairs without any clutter if they're useless on any magnification other than max.

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't see the point of having unnecessary clutter obstructing my view.

I own both the Sightron SIII and the Pst. The PST is a good scope and if you need all the features it is a good value. The SIII has more elevation travel and I really like their reticle better. The Sightron glass is much clearer, brighter, and when you adjust the side focus the picture gets sharp and parallax free.

The PST is a good scope and has more features, however it takes longer to set up for a really long shot because it never gets quite crisp when you focus it. You have to move your eye to make sure the cross hairs don't move in order to be parallax free. To me this is huge and that is why I think the Sightron is twice the scope for $100 dollars more. Anyone else own both that think the Vortex is better?

I don't own a Zeiss, but have looked through them. I am impressed. It does seem like the best fit for the OP to me. It is really a different style of scope than the other two.

I own both the Sightron SIII and the Pst. The PST is a good scope and if you need all the features it is a good value. The SIII has more elevation travel and I really like their reticle better. The Sightron glass is much clearer, brighter, and when you adjust the side focus the picture gets sharp and parallax free.

The PST is a good scope and has more features, however it takes longer to set up for a really long shot because it never gets quite crisp when you focus it. You have to move your eye to make sure the cross hairs don't move in order to be parallax free. To me this is huge and that is why I think the Sightron is twice the scope for $100 dollars more. Anyone else own both that think the Vortex is better?

I don't own a Zeiss, but have looked through them. I am impressed. It does seem like the best fit for the OP to me. It is really a different style of scope than the other two.

A buddy of mine has sent me pictures through his PST at 24x of a 12"x12" window at roughly 1300 yards and it's as clear as I'd ever need.

Well I purchased my new scope on Tuesday. I went with the Vortex PST and very happy with my purchase. Although I wanted the FFP in Mrad, I bought the SFP model and decided to go with MOA. I had a chance to look through both the PST and the Sightron side by side and to me the PST did seem clearer at the higher magnification. Took it to the range Thursday to zero it and it tracked very well. Clicks were audibal and felt really good. Never got to set up the zero stop yet, but it was evening and did try the illumination, which also worked nicely. Looking forward to go out and shoot again!

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's very appreciated!

Well I purchased my new scope on Tuesday. I went with the Vortex PST and very happy with my purchase. Although I wanted the FFP in Mrad, I bought the SFP model and decided to go with MOA. I had a chance to look through both the PST and the Sightron side by side and to me the PST did seem clearer at the higher magnification. Took it to the range Thursday to zero it and it tracked very well. Clicks were audibal and felt really good. Never got to set up the zero stop yet, but it was evening and did try the illumination, which also worked nicely. Looking forward to go out and shoot again!

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's very appreciated!

Great choice on selecting the Vortex PST - MOA.

I absolutely love mine! :D

Did you get the 4-16x50 or the 6-24x50?

I cant wait to get back out again. It's the 6-24x50, and I meant to put Wednesday I took it to the range, not Thursday, that's today lol. My bad. Nice, let me know how things go once you get it set up. I used NF rings and base. Pretty happy with those as well.

A little heads up on the zero stop on the PST. Once you get the scope dialed for your appropriate range and load, Leave the elevation turret set until you get home and then remove it with the supplied hex wrench (with the rifle set in an appropriate cradle like a Tipton Gun Vise.

Loosen all 3 socket screws, back them out until about 1/8" of thread is showing (for them to clear the internal recess, pull the cap straight up off the turret. It will come off slightly hard because the 'O' rings are lubricated with silicone grease. Set it aside and start stacking shims in the lower recess.

I use a small pair of needle nose pliers and stagger the shims with the opening opposite EXCEPT THE LAST SHIM which goes on the same way as the previous one (contrary to the Vortex instructions. I found that by placing the last shim on the same way as the previous shim went on, almost all the space can be filled. All 3 of my Vortex's rotate less than 1/4 turn past zero using this method.

After the space is filled, replace the turret, pushing straight down with the '0' line centered in the cutout. Tighten all 3 turret screws evenly and check the zero stop by rotating the turret knob counter clockwise (elevating) and then back to and past '0'. All of mine stop less than 1'4 turn past 0.

While the cap is off, take time to admire the fine machining under the cap. I'm impressed considering the price.

I sighted in my 338 this weekend. at 200 yards and the 6-24 at maximum magnification was a clear as glass, even clearer than my spotting scope......

Hope that helps. I'm a ****** with following instructions anyway.:D

I saw a picture a friend sent of the glass at 6,12 and 24x out to 1150 yards or so, better than Leupold as good as Nightforce. No question. Crystal clear... Awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.