Opinions Needed 1000 yd range scope

rcoody

Nightforce precision benchrest 12-42

or

Nightforce competition 15-55

about a $1000 difference in price. What am I getting for the extra $1000

Once you get above 25x at 1000 yards the mirage will eat you alive.

I use a leupold vx-6 7 to 42 now. the mirage doesn't seem to bother me. In fact you can use the mirage to see what the wind is doing near the target.

Once you get above 25x at 1000 yards the mirage will eat you alive.
Agreed, unless you really need it, (like, cause your eyes suck) more magnification is going to magnify wind and heat induced mirage. I have a 4-16 on my .308 and can sight in on a pop can at 1k. Can't hit it, but I can see it. After the barrel heats up, I can't reliably see that though, fwiw.

Nightforce precision benchrest 12-42

or

about a $1000 difference in price. What am I getting for the extra $1000

You should ask this question over on 6br.. You will get some very good answers. I've been using a N.F. 12-42 br for 10 years and before that an 8-32 N.F. br. I have never had to back down below 28 power with bad mirage. I like the 15-55 Competition scopes, just will not spend the extra $. Remember the mirage is not always there and always bad, it's always nice to have that extra magnification, you can always dial down.

Don Dunlap

Agreed, unless you really need it, (like, cause your eyes suck) more magnification is going to magnify wind and heat induced mirage. I have a 4-16 on my .308 and can sight in on a pop can at 1k. Can't hit it, but I can see it. After the barrel heats up, I can't reliably see that though, fwiw.

the long range guys have a heat shield over their barrels for that very reason. I was speaking of the environmental heat mirage.

and I am old and my eyes suck. When I was a kid I could hit anything with irons on my .22. Now I can't even see irons.

only option is more magnification.

[
Have several 12-42s BR which are terrific for extreme long range work but have not seen the 15-55. I do have a ATRAG coming within weeks and am led to believe the glass on it even exceeds my BR's.

QUOTE=rcoody;1169781]Nightforce precision benchrest 12-42

or

about a $1000 difference in price. What am I getting for the extra $1000[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.