Need a new rifle -- Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Brydawg512, Apr 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Did you watch the video on the link I provided? If not, I highly recommend it.

2. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Yep have to say your best luck is with a savage for your budget. I always recommend them to my friends that want to start out. Heck many of the axis they buy shoot amazing once they find the right ammo. Many times factory ammo does very well after you find which kind it likes.
    I wouldn’t be afraid of the axis if they offer it in 7mm. You could restock with a Boyd’s and put a great trigger in it for you budget.

whirlwindjml and FEENIX like this.
  3. FIGJAM

FIGJAM Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I haven’t had any problems with the actions - the triggers suck and you will eventually want to replace them.

I will also second the savage rifles, especially the new 110’s with the accufit accustocks. We just got my son a new 110 storm in 223. Gun is a tack driver and I love how customizable the stock is...

Rick Richard, FEENIX and slv hunter like this.
  4. GROB1

GROB1 Member LRH Team Member

look at the STEYR PRO HUNTER

5. remingtonman

remingtonman Well-Known Member

Check out the t/c venture in 7mm mag. They are great rifles. Had one in 300 win mag and it shot around half moa with 180gr accutips at 100yards

Old rooster and Ga6570 like this.
  6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Yep, the are a sleeper but makes excellent rifles. I like their dimension model and hope to get one some day. I have a TC Compass in 6.5 CM and here's my 3-shot group at 200 yards with factory ammo.

2 of 2 6.5 CM.jpg

Ga6570, PCarr, jpfrog and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bang4theBuck

Bang4theBuck Well-Known Member

I'm not one to read every single post, but if I were in your shoes, I would look for the fastest twist barrel I could find. 1 in 8" or maybe faster. I would choose a savage in that price range. Not sure you can get a fast twist in a factory gun, but a cheap model Savage 110 or something will still leave enough in the budget to rebarrel for shooting heavy bullets!

FEENIX likes this.
  8. Lil bob

Lil bob Member

You can pick up tikka in that price range. I just started shooting them. I gotten two in the last few months and look for my third. I been finding them on sale between $400 to $450.

PCarr, ccmain and huntinghuasna like this.
  9. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

For your parameters most any of the manufacturers are going to fit your needs. So it really depends on how much you think you'll really end up shooting it. Will you need to rebarrel it during your ownership. If so how easy will it be to rebarrel it? What will the cost be? How refined do you want the action to be for 700-800 bucks? And what bolt action rifles do you currently own?

10. Brydawg512

Brydawg512 Well-Known Member

Great. I looked at the long range model and like it. Where do you all recommend buying from online? The Cabela's section is lacking.

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

ccmain likes this.
  12. Lenwood901

Lenwood901 Well-Known Member

savage is awsome i got the 12fv put the bottom metal stock and trigger shoots great

whirlwindjml likes this.
  13. Brydawg512

Brydawg512 Well-Known Member

14. simo hayha

simo hayha Member

Tikka