Need a new Rangefinder

I went with the Garman Foretrex 701 and bought a heavy duty but comfortable carrier that goes on my wrist and makes me look like a bad --- seal sniper. The truth is even I can t loose or break it now. I range then look at the Garman on my left wrist for the ballistic sol. It is Fast and not so complicated a old fart like me could learn it in a day or two. The applied ballistic elite is strong juju!!!! I took a new unfired rifle to the range ran a tall target to verify scope was plum, checked calibration on the dials. put in a correction factor and established a exact 100 yard zero with just 12 shoots. range our farthest target at 1120 yards dialed in the sol fired 3 shots. What was most impressive was that on the next trip . I had used those 3 shots to true my data. first round hit center of coyote head at 420 yards, the heart on the pig at 800 yards and pOA at 1120View attachment 135264View attachment 135263 View attachment 135247View attachment 135247 View attachment 135262View attachment 135263 View attachment 135264

sorry about the meltable photos I don t know why it does that

I didn't know that. Thank-you!

The fact that it links to a Kestrel is very interesting. I use a Kestrel when shooting steel. However, I still wouldn't get a pair of binos just yet. I would get the binos if I could reduce the number of pieces of equipment I have to carry while hunting.

I have a pair of 10X50 Swarovski binoculars that work great. I use the SIG 2400 for range and ballistic solutions. That is two pieces of equipment.

The SIG binoculars appear to be a better rangefinder than the Sig 2400. However, if I purchased the SIG binoculars, I would still need to bring my Kestrel. That is two pieces of equipment. I am less likely to drop/misplace one piece of equipment than two pieces of equipment. Also, realistically, while hunting, I am not going to shoot an animal past 1,300 meters.

If the SIG binoculars had the same functionality as the SIG 2400 (anemometer, inclinometer and ballistic computer) and displayed the ballistic solution in the field of view of the binoculars, I could trade in my Swarovski binoculars and Sig 2400 for a single piece of equipment.

SIG is innovating quickly and I bet they come up with the "killer Solution" (at least for my hunting needs) soon.

You have to add a elite devise like the german or kestrel to get on site environmental . you can also pair a wind meter to the phone and get location environmental readings and wind with out internet. The garmin and kestrel all ow you to input direction of fire, The garman 701 will build range cards for each rifle. or allow you to store target info for 10 targets if you are a prs shooter. Lots of solutions for 1000 binocular/rangefinder that will do deer a 1400. and when paired with a elite device provide ballistic sol for up to 10000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts