Need a Rangefinder

jpbaker

Hey everyone,

Im looking to buy a rangefinder, been keeping my eyes open on ebay.

trying to get something under $200. Any suggestions?

What are your thoughts on the Bushnell 1500?

I don't have any experiences with it but reportedly the Bushnell Elite 1500 is a good rangefinder. Doing research, it is the best bang for your buck under buying a used Zeiss for around the $500 mark. If this is the one you're talking about, it should be pretty good, but, usually you get what you pay for with optics. Hope I helped and Good luck!:)

usually you get what you pay for with optics.:)

That is what im worried about. I wanna get the best bang for my buck, just bought a new browning and an Elite 6500 scope, so im trying to do the best I can with the little I have at the moment. :)

I have an elite 1500 and have had good luck with it. I had a nikon 600 before it. The elite 1500 is 3 times more powerful. I have picked up horse trailers at over 1600 yards, moving cars at 1400. The farthest I have picked up game is elk at around 930. Antelope seem to be the hardest on any rangefinder, I have picked them up over seven hundred yards away. I have also not been able to pick up antelope that I though were under 500 yards.
I really got no complaints at all with my 1500. I have ranged and killed 3 elk, 2 deer, and 2 antelope from 228-450 yards since i started using it two years ago. It is a little bulky but I don't mind as the case has been used as a rear rest for my longer shots in the field.
I may want to upgrade when my custom rifle is done and my range extends. But mine works consistently enough for game out to 800 yards or so. Which is farther than I am comfortable shooting consistently in any wind.

Str8shoot's experience with an Elite 1500 is similar to mine. I really liked mine. It's not a Leica and it's definitely not a Swaro but it gave me consistent and accurate results out to as far as I could shoot. I think the Elite 1500 is a bargain and generally under-rated.

I'll jump in on that elite 1500 as well. I've used mine for a couple years now and it is a decent range finder. Use it for pdogs a lot. Maybe not exactly on the dog but you can range a mound out to a good 600yrds or better most days. I've ranged antelope out to 798 but that was tricky. Used it for whitetail deer this year and it was pretty easy to get a range out to 800. Actually managed to get one ranged up on a ridge at 1024 a couple times after several tries. Couldn't get anything after it left so I'm guessing it was the deer. lol Just upgrading to a leica 1600 so I'll probably let the elite go soon.

I have used my Bushnell Elite 1500 now for several months. So far I really like it. I can range trees out to about 500yds. Reflective objects much further. In the short time that I have had it I have ranged cars out to 1300+yds fairly easily. The thing that I have noticed is that it is a bit difficult to range targets at greater than 800yds that are non-reflective, but I think that is pretty much a given no matter what rangefinder you are using.

My buddy has a bushnell elite, he loves it and he can range things further than my Leupold RX-1000 TBR on a clear day just based on the fact that his ranger goes past 1000 yards. Doesn't pick up less reflective objects as well as the Leupold, but it is a solid range finder.

Hey CRNA, are you using "good" batteries? Mine did the same 3-500 on trees with new sportsmans warehouse 9v and I almost took it back but with durecells it will hit trees or brush reliably out to 11-1350 depending on the weather. If your using the cheap stuff that may really be costing performance.

Hey CRNA, are you using "good" batteries? Mine did the same 3-500 on trees with new sportsmans warehouse 9v and I almost took it back but with durecells it will hit trees or brush reliably out to 11-1350 depending on the weather. If your using the cheap stuff that may really be costing performance.

You know, I honestly don't know what I have in it. I will certainly check it. Thanks for the information. I would have never thought to check the batteries until they were dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.