Need a bullet for upcoming bear hunt!

matt_3479

I recently received a new build chambered in 260. rem and have either a moose hunt or a bear hunt coming up in early September or late October depending on tags but its looking like is going to be a bear hunt.

The rifle was throated for 140 hybrids but i can't seem to get them to shoot to save my life, at least not better then 1 moa at absolute best at 100 yards. I am going to try varget and H-4831sc as it doesn't seem like the rifle likes the hybrid or possibly H-4350. If those other powders don't work out for me a new bullet will need to come.

Im considering the 140 amax as i have a few of those kicking around, or even the 140 hunting vld, and 130 vld. my only concern here is i have a few spots where shots will be 350-700 yards but most of the spots that have been good in recent years shots are 75-200 yards and would like to makes sure the bullet holds up at 50-75 yards if shot presents itself. Any suggestions? Or even suggestions on how to get those bloody hybrids to shoot. Its driving me crazy. First full custom and best overall group so far has been 1" even at 100 yards with worst being closer to 2-2.25". average 1.5 moa at 100 yards or touch bigger.

I have a back up 7mm mag pushing the 160 accubonds at 2925fps, and 300 win mag pushing the 210 vlds at 2830 and the 215 at 2900fps.

"Full Custom"- Maybe ask the gunsmith to help you out with the load or why it's only shooting an inch. Especially since he throated it for a specific bullet. Have you asked him for the OAL he used for the chamber/throat? Maybe he can give you a dummy round to copy. Just my thoughts as you spent money for accuracy.

See I want to get it shooting is my biggest concern, and hunting with is is my second. I'd love to have both done by the bear hunt. It's in Ontario, Canada where black bears are generally 150-300lbs. So id love to take something with the new rifle: I have loads and everything ready and set up for the other rifles especially my 300. Winny, and if I'm not comfortable in time I'll take that, but I'd like to try and get this thing shooting and in hubting condition for this years bear hunt that's why I'm asking.

140 HVLD's are my next go I think as the 140 amax I just don't think are up to black bear.

I think your 260 is a little light for both moose and bear. It will work, but Id personally feel much more comfortable with something in a 30 cal. As for bullets, I wouldn't mess with any of the bullets that fragment a lot like the Amax or VLD type bullets. you want penetration on those big animals, so something like the accubond or partition would be a better choice. Just me 2 cents.

tell more about the .260. barrel? krieger? action? stock? twist?

26" sendero contour 1:8twist benchmark barrel
Stiller tac 30 action
Mcmillan a5 stock bedded
Jewel trigger
Nightforce scope
Ptg bottom
JEC muzzle
Throated for 140 hybrids to touch at 2.870 I believe so she would still feed from a mag or 2.880 I have to double check

I think your 260 is a little light for both moose and bear. It will work, but Id personally feel much more comfortable with something in a 30 cal. As for bullets, I wouldn't mess with any of the bullets that fragment a lot like the Amax or VLD type bullets. you want penetration on those big animals, so something like the accubond or partition would be a better choice. Just me 2 cents.

I wouldn't use it for moose personally, that's why I have the 7mm and the 300 winny but I really wanna get this thing shooting and test it out on an animal but if I can't get it up and running right in time for the hunt it will stay home. I rally want to try a vld style bullet but I'm going try and work up a load with a nosler accubond or a Barnes ttsx incase I decide otherwise. The nosler accubond is my go to bullet for big game

A Nosler partition would be a great bullet for bear in a 260.

If using a .260 this would be my choice. On my bear hunt in Quebec I saw a wolf track that was over 3 inches across. I shot a small bear at about 75 yards with a .270 Winchester.

My buddy also killed his with a bow. Both bears killed in the morning after it stopped raining. Mornings can be productive.

Good luck

Jerry

A Nosler partition would be a great bullet for bear in a 260.

i second a partition. i shot my bear at 25 feet with a 300 win mag. although it was at full velocity it held together pretty well . the bullet didn't pass through which was surprising how tough these animals really are

entrance hole was 4 inches

IMG_2786_zpskcsxih7g.jpg

IMG_2785_zpsrdaiwb6p.jpg

IMG_2784_zps486ba9ad.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.