Necking down 7mm STW to .257 STW

aldeerhunter

I am setting up to reload for my .257stw. I have read all that I can find and see that some say that it is not necessary to step down to .257. However, I want to step down instead of going directly from from 7mm stw to .257 stw.

What size die should I use as the intermediary die?

Thanks

Last edited:
A friend of mine had a 257 STW and he did the neck down in one step and it did fine for him. Only bullet he could get to hold together in flight was the Barns X. That thing was like shooting a laser beam across those huge east NC bean fields on deer.

Yes. It is a Hot Tamale built by Ferguson out in Texas back in 2008. Having trouble getting in touch with him so I have to get set up to load. Not sure what load he used as I can't locate the spec sheet he sent me. I know he used a 100 gr Barnes TSX. The load was pretty hot and pretty much destroyed the brass, splitting the neck most of the time.

The gun is my go to deer gun. Killed a truckload of deer and never had to trail one.

I wouldn't use that guy's(Ferguson) loads if I had to... he runs the rifles to the point the brass is shot after the first firing... I'd think about 257 wby full pressure loads as start loads, but you ought to have someone do a W.L. run-up for you with a few combos to get a better handle on charge weights...

That Ferguson dude got ran off the forum a while back, if I recall correctly, because of his insane claims about the 7mm STW, and something like 4,000 FPS or something insane like that.

I would do your own load workups, and would give the Berger 115's a try, maybe with those velocities, you might give Steve over at Hammer Bullets a call, and see if he can build you a custom .257 caliber heavy bullet for your rifle that will meet your needs, and stay together.

As for powders, IMR 7828, 7977, or Hodgdon H1000 might give you some good results.

Also, check out Reloader's Nest if you need some guidelines for load data...

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=239

Here's a couple interesting threads that bode some good reading...Also tells you a bit about the James Ferguson character.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/257-ferguson-hot-tamale.5082/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/257-hot-tamale-aka-25-7mmstw.31859/

Talk about a barrel burner !!! No question this would make some velocity and would cause bullets to come apart but at a cost...no way the throat could take that much powder for long, 250 rounds and she'd be a shotgun !! But it would be flat , fun and loud !! Ya-hooooo

A friend of mine has two 25 STW. Found a problem with powder bridging and carbon rings. Guns would all of a sudden be WAY over pressure. We ended up using Ram Shot Magnum I believe. This powder seemed to cure the bridging problem. As far as bullets he used Accubond and E tips. I agree with with MudRunner on finding a heavy for caliber bullet. Chinchanga I believe makes a heavy in the 130-135 gr range. Just going by memory here. Also not sure what twist barrel you would need.

I would like to see how wc872 would do in it, bridging wouldnt be an issue, some of Kirby Allens lasers would be loaded like that. probably will have to stay with a superslow ball powder, and most definitely , annealing is your best friend :)

Last edited:
What twist is the rifle? Hopefully it is not the standard 10" twist that most 25's are held back with. If it is 10" it is ok. This rifle was not really designed for long range. It is designed for 500y on a frozen rope. I am sure that we have a Hammer Bullet that will fit your rifle and your intended purpose.

Steve

morning, I have 25 STW. Had a hell of a time finding a load. I use the
110 Accu-bond with 7828 or ramshot mag. same burn rate as 4831sc. u can buy the brass, expensive. as far as barrel burner, I use mine for deer. I had a 7mm mag. on a sako action. I put the 25 STW on this sako action, with vais muzzle brake.
this rifle is a lazer. as far as ferguson, a real as shole. very hard
to converse with!!! with the 110 accu, 3 shots in .500 or less. TUM

morning, Lee neck sizers, 264 and 25cal dies. a person can set up
there press to set the neck to case shoulder. no problem. TUM

I would utilize a bushing die and step it down. Heck, I even step my 6.5wsm brass down twice from .277. One shot thru a bushing in ~ .290 and then on to whatever you need your final neck dimension at. I would also highly recommend annealing afterward.

Cutting Edge also makes mono's in .257, just as another source. Most .257stw guys I've talked to ran the 100grn Barnes just as fast as they could.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.