257- STW

I use 84 grains of ramshot magnum and a 100 grain Nosler BT good for 3950FPS out of my 30 inch 257stw. I also use 80 grains of ramshot magnum and a 110 accubond. Remember to reduce 10% and work up and have fun.

I have Layne Simpson's article For Shooting Times on the 257STW.Shoot me a pm with your address and I'll send you a copy of his data.Hopefully, my smith will complete my 257STW in a couple of weeks and we can compare reloading results.
Brute

What-is-your-barrel-life-like.-A-100grn-Ballistic-Tip-at-3950;-that-has-to-be-devastating-on-varmints.-I-was-thinking-about-going-with-a-7mm-STW-using-the-140grn-Ballatic-tip.-I-am-thinking-I-would-get-close-to-3700-fps-out-of-my-30"-barrel.-However;-it-looks-like-I-am-going-to-go-with-the-7mm-WSM;-but-I-still-have-plenty-of-time-to-change-my-mind.-I-am-just-wondering-what-kind-of-barrel-life-I-would-get.-Also;-does-Norma-make-brass-for-7MM-STW?

Hvyw8t- It sounds like you like the Ramshot magnum powder for the 257 stw, is it very temp sensitive? Thanks for replying

wildcat,
No body makes brass other than WW or Remington for 7 STW. Even Nosler loads their custom ammo in 7STW using WW brass. There has been some Federal loaded ammo using using 150 Nosler that was cheap last year, I think it is still avaiable (but not as cheap) from Midway. The STW is the 8mm Rem Mag case necked up or down.

Wildcat
Been shooting the 7 STW since it was a "wildcat".I've used all kinds of factory brass Win, Rem., Fed, plus formed it from several other rounds.In my experience Win 7STW brass serves me well.I've got one lot I've loaded 7 times and primer pockets are still fine.Course I don't run on the ragged edge with my charge weights/pressures.I've found the "7" to be easy to get to perform accuracy wise and nice and flat at "my" hunting ranges(400-600yds-max)I realize this is short to med. range for this group of hunters,but see no reason 168 Bergers at 3000-3100 won't work on out to long range. I hope to have similar luck with the 25 STW.Time will tell.Good luck on your build whichever caliber you go with and keep us posted.
Brute

I agree that factory 7 STW brass is the way to go.The necking up or down plus fireforming is a total pain.However some folks are less than thrilled with the quality of available 7 STW headstamped brass.Also some of the first rifles chambered for STW (when it was still a "cat")varied in dimensions due to reamer specs differing slightly.So in search of a better mousetrap,so to speak, we tried a lot of different recipes.With brass available now I see no reason to spend time ,components ,and barrel life to form brass from other sources.But, heres the catch. 7 STW brass is a little scarce at times.It is my understanding that Win and Rem have designated it a seasonal item which means it isn't readily available year round.Being this is the best route to 257 STW (necking down 7 STW)if you find it you might ought to buy it.One other option for STW brass 7 and 257 is Quality Cartridge Brass from Midway,but it is kinda expensive and I've heard less than glowing reports about the quality.That being said I plan to try a sample for 257 STW and see for myself.If anyone has tried Quality Cartridge Brass I'd be lnterested in your opinions.
Brute

Brute, I have heard about the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, on the Quality Cartridge Brass for the 257 STW and for that reason I have not tried it. If anyone has used any please keep us posted with your results.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.