Neck turning

chetraguse

I bought a 21st century neck turning lathe and just started. I'm doing some 7mm Rem Mag nosler brass. The concentricity is worse after I turn the necks. I'm running the brass over the expander mandrel that came with the lathe before I'm turning them. Any thoughts??

Pretty neat article, but why does he full length size them, expand the neck, and then resize the neck? That seems like a ton of work. I realize that you have to expand the neck for the neck turning, but when I expand it with my mandrel it gives me the perfect neck tension. Maybe they aren't all like that?

Are you measuring run-out or neck thickness? The two are very different. A ball micrometer or similiar tool is used to measure neck thickness, the target of neck turning.

If you turned new brass, not fireformed in your chamber, there will be, sometimes, considerable run-out. Once it's fired in your chamber, the run out will be nil, if barrel/action alignment is correct. Then, you're GTG.

It should be new for turning. No sizing, no firing and sizing, but new as it comes out of the box. Just expand with your turning system expander and turn (like you're doing). Preps are never complete, nor is any cartridge, until fire formed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.