Nearing the end of my 338 RUM build.

Do you want tosell your remaining primers as I have rifles that like them.
I will check and see how many left for sure...I gave a few away to one friend...I will be back to you around 6 when I get home...
Just checked with the supplier on the SMKs...he has a bunch but raised his price to 1.25 each....still a great price!

So, as I am looking for a 300gr bullet, how do those 300gr Sierra's work?
I think I bypassed them due to twist constraints. I may be wrong with my 9" twist.
For hunting you can't go past the Berger, but be careful with the 300gr OTM, above 3200fps muzzle velocity they do strange things on animals whether close, within 400 or beyond 700. I think they like slower speeds than my rifle produces.

Cheers.

I learned a lesson a few years back and now follow my lesson. When trying new components 50 is good...real good! I bought a Brick of Fed 210 match when they first hit the shelves...got all excited and loaded 50....my group opened from .250 @100.....To 2.5"....So now I have 950 primers I won't use...... Daaaaaahhhhh....
I tried 210M several years ago. I feel they are hotter than just 210 primers. That just my feeling, because my velocities increased when chronograph. So you may need to reduce your powder load some, and try it again. I know the feeling too. Fed 210 primers have been my go to primers. Building a new or 2 new rifles, I am going to try all the brands primers.

I tried 210M several years ago. I feel they are hotter than just 210 primers. That just my feeling, because my velocities increased when chronograph. So you may need to reduce your powder load some, and try it again. I know the feeling too. Fed 210 primers have been my go to primers. Building a new or 2 new rifles, I am going to try all the brands primers.
Folks told me when I was younger...that Scotch was an acquired taste! I always said when Rum failed me....I might look into.... acquiring a new taste! When the first attempt at trying New primers proved to be a catastrophic failure...I thought...do I need to pursue this? The answer was NO!....

Got my rifle tonight I hope it shoots as good as it looks. My gunsmith sold me a B&C stock for 100 dollars. I took the stock off later and it has an aluminum bedding block and pillars so I am real happy with that. I think new these stocks are 430 dollars here. Just need to mount a scope and go shoot it my self he put 2 rounds through it to make sure pt works.
Any advice on barrel break in do it or don't worry about it. How many rounds between cleanings if yes.

Got to shoot her this afternoon just getting the scope on paper at 50yds. I shot prone and it is a nice gun to shoot. What I would call basiclly a zero reoil rifle. I never thought I would find a brake as good as my Grizzly Gun Works brake but this Cadex brake is right there with it. I will give a report when I move back to100yds. Kinda want to what the250grn SGK and Rl 25 can do.

Got my COAL figured out comes to 3.924 probably 4 thou jam. These Bergers are long bullets seated out that far the boat tail is below the case neck. Loaded up 3 rounds at 3 different lengths 3.914,3.904 and 3.894 on top of 91.0 grns of Rl 33. This is a weak load I know but I will get some idea of where to go with seating depth. According to Berger the Elite Hunter bullets are supposed to be very foregiving does any body know if this is true.

Well got to shoot my gun off the bench today. Now I don't know what to do the rounds I loaded up with 89.0 grns of Rl 25 and the SGK seated at 3.595 shot into .434 of an inch. How ever I made a discovery that I don't know what I should do. The bolt face on my rifle is .580. That would mean this bolt should have been on a 378 or 460 Wby not a 270 Wby. It extracts the cases but some times not all the way like half of the cartrage is left in the chamber. Is this a concern and will it effect accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.