My ultralight timber stick - building a 4 lb rifle

Interesting build! I like lighter woods rifles, it makes them faster to get on target. The fact that they're lighter also means it gets more use than the heavier rifles, and more use means more muscle memory and quicker/ more accurate offhand shots.

When packing in, pounds matter- when packing out with your kill, they really matter.

So to check all those boxes for timber hunting, I (used to) use my 94 winchester open sights in .307. Super pointable, quick handling and accurate enough for close work- I used to be able to put 5 rounds in 1.5 moa with open sights (eyesight sucks now)

I enjoy stalking critters immensely but trying to carry even a shorter rifle with a scope in the cover the elk around here like is tough. So my light weight super heavy cover weapon is a 10" contender in 44 mag. I keep it in a chest rig which makes stalk hunting the willow infested river bottoms around here far far easier than a rifle. Bonus points for being only 2 or 3 pounds.

Following. I went with an AR-15 for my ultralight build, but only because I'm ballin on a budget and the parts were much cheaper than building a bolt gun. 6.5 Grendel, 5.5lbs all up with the mag. Shooting the 99 Hammer Hunters 2800fps, perfect for deer. But of course not enough power for bigger game. The funny thing with ultralight + short barrel set ups is the recoil. My 6.5 grendel feels more like a 6.5 PRC.

The real winner here is the SWFA SS 2.5-10, I think that's the right call if you're staying inside 500y. Crazy they got it so light, and it still feels sturdy. Still not too many reliability reviews on this scope since it's relatively new, but SWFA in general has proven dependable. I haven't shot mine a ton, but it's held up fine so far.

View attachment 412480
What's the specs on that handguard?. Never seen a woven wire one. Is it aluminum?

Following. I went with an AR-15 for my ultralight build, but only because I'm ballin on a budget and the parts were much cheaper than building a bolt gun. 6.5 Grendel, 5.5lbs all up with the mag. Shooting the 99 Hammer Hunters 2800fps, perfect for deer. But of course not enough power for bigger game. The funny thing with ultralight + short barrel set ups is the recoil. My 6.5 grendel feels more like a 6.5 PRC.

The real winner here is the SWFA SS 2.5-10, I think that's the right call if you're staying inside 500y. Crazy they got it so light, and it still feels sturdy. Still not too many reliability reviews on this scope since it's relatively new, but SWFA in general has proven dependable. I haven't shot mine a ton, but it's held up fine so far.

View attachment 412480
I built an ultralight AR in large platform very similar to yours but 5.8 lbs and in 308 win for just under $1k -- smokes/briggand arms- I used a ti bcg, no fa/no dust cover upper that I lightened with my mill, 1 oz buffer--- I could go lighter with a few more cf and ti parts but they get spendy quick

I built an ultralight AR in large platform very similar to yours but 5.8 lbs and in 308 win for just under $1k -- smokes/briggand arms- I used a ti bcg, no fa/no dust cover upper that I lightened with my mill, 1 oz buffer--- I could go lighter with a few more cf and ti parts but they get spendy quick
Wow that's light! Without scope?

That sounds perfect for the general purpose rifle I've been thinking of. What's the barrel length?

Last edited:
So this is going to take a while (couple years likely) to finish, as I really don't "need" this rifle, and it's also going to be a niche rifle as well. Either way though, every rifle I build has an intended purpose......and the following will be this one's.

I hunt a few different ways, usually I'm spot/shoot or spot/stalking from high vantage points, in rough country. I usually start out the year however, with archery, but I really don't put in a ton of effort on that. Other times though, especially now that my kids are wanting to go with me more, I find myself sneaking through the timber quietly, teaching them the ways of the woods, how to stalk, how to be quiet, how to navigate, and how to listen. While this is usually not as successful as high point glassing, I still find it very exciting, and love that my kids seem to enjoy it too, as we're constantly doing something.

I don't need this rifle to be extremely light, but it also doesn't need to be heavy. I look back at all my harvests with these kinds of hunts, and the farthest shot I can recall is a 250 yard shot across a meadow, with the average range being under 100 yards. So magnum power, or heavy rifle stability just isn't needed. Arguably, extreme accuracy isn't "needed" either, though I have my bets this one will shoot quite well for what it will be. What is important, is being quick and nimble handling, and having good pointability. Every animal I harvested hunting this way was taken within seconds of seeing it, often while they were moving. And, as I may be covering lot's of distance, I want it light, and also, just because, no other real good reason there ha ha. So, I might as well make it extreme in some fashion ha ha.

So, on to the build itself. Here will be the components, and the weights -

Manners MCS-UC, 13" LOP, ADL repeater - ~20 oz roughly with pillars, action screws, aluminum trigger gaurd and light bedding.

Pierce Skele-TI, left hand short action, .308 bolt face - ~ 15.9 oz

Rock creek #1 sporter contour, cut at 18", short shanked. Still undecided on what chambering, bore diameter could change it slightly.... - ~ 1 lb 15 oz

ADL mag box, spring and follower - ~ 4 oz estimated

Trigger Tech diamond - ~ 3 oz

This comes out to right at 4 lbs 10 oz for the bare rifle, maybe an oz or two more.

Tally rings - 3.5 oz

? SWFA SS 2.5-10 - 9.5 oz

So with that scope, would add 13 oz, putting it at 5 lbs 7 oz, unloaded, add about 3-4oz for 4 rounds of something like .243, .260, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08 or maybe .308. Then a sling like a skinny nylon sling, still under 6 lbs.

I will probably run a monolithic bullet of some flavor in it for hunting, as all shots will likely be close, and it will mainly be for elk. It is not going to be threaded, and no muzzle device, and I want to avoid magnum calibers for the sake of easier recoil in this ultra light, and also so I can have a very short shanked barrel. Right now I'm thinking .260ai, 6.5 creed, or 7mm-08. Any would kill elk splendidly inside 400ish yards this rifle will be designated for.

I think this would be super handy, and make a nice timber rifle. At this point, all I got is the Manners stock on order, thanks to their 20% off black Friday sale ha ha. I will update this thread slowly as it progresses, but it will be a fun process!
when Ron at benchmark barrels, started a project like this, he did a bunch of testing and research. the conclusion was that the 7mm 08 just cant be beat . when i saw a rem ti 18 barreled rifle in 7mm 08 on gb i threw a bid at it and now own it. i didnt get the fun of planning, or the anticipation but in this case, got a very similar setup, and saved a bunch .. good luck, it sounds fantastic.

I really enjoy my .260 AI. It's a touch quirky fire forming the brass but inherently accurate and fun to shoot. With good bullets it would be perfectly suitable for elk. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on it's enormously more enjoyable than my 7mm-08.
Question, not a comment. in 18 in or less is the 260 ai significantly better than the standard 260 rem ( which i love and believe it has a slight edge over the Creed)? for elk, i still feel the 7 08 with barnes 168 ttsx or hammer hunter 143 etc would be hard to beat.

I have a Tikka Superlite in 243 Winchester, 100gr. Load, 85gr Gameking load and Lapua brass, (for all) Barnes 80gr TTSX @ 3400 fps that is a pleasure to shoot and carry. With the light fluted barrel 3 shots into ½ moa is regular at 100 yards if I do my part. A 4.5 x 27 x 50 Athlon now, but looking into a lighter 10 to 18 power lighter unit. A low power 4 or less by 18 power is a really versatile scope in my experience. I can't afford some of the more expensive custom stuff, (Kid in college and I'm 100% disabled and retired from shotgun blast at close range) but if I could, your choices are top notch. The light fluted barrel is something to consider, (unless shooting long strings of shots) as mine is excellent in looks and putting bullets where they need to be.

I have a Tikka Superlite in 243 Winchester, 100gr. Load, 85gr Gameking load and Lapua brass, (for all) Barnes 80gr TTSX @ 3400 fps that is a pleasure to shoot and carry. With the light fluted barrel 3 shots into ½ moa is regular at 100 yards if I do my part. A 4.5 x 27 x 50 Athlon now, but looking into a lighter 10 to 18 power lighter unit. A low power 4 or less by 18 power is a really versatile scope in my experience. I can't afford some of the more expensive custom stuff, (Kid in college and I'm 100% disabled and retired from shotgun blast at close range) but if I could, your choices are top notch. The light fluted barrel is something to consider, (unless shooting long strings of shots) as mine is excellent in looks and putting bullets where they need to be.
A few years ago I bought a Kimber Adirondack in 308 added galleys and a Leupold 3x9 compact,5 lb 9 oz,great on the pack in steep country,kelly

Wow that's light! Without scope?

That sounds perfect for the general purpose rifle I've been thinking of. What's the barrel length?
With...it's a leupy ultralight -- it has a 16" faxon pencil profile barrel- titanium : nut, big, screws/pins, hasblock, castlenut. 1oz lightweight plastic buffer, cf end plate, grip is under 1oz, both the upper and lower have ball mill slots anywhere I could put them to shave weight.

I've added a several ounces with the muzzle brake as it was hard to shoot being so light without a brake--- it has "hella" muzzle flip/jump without one.

A few years ago I bought a Kimber Adirondack in 308 added galleys and a Leupold 3x9 compact,5 lb 9 oz,great on the pack in steep country,kelly
Honestly a 3x9 leupy is probably good for most young healthy eyes from short to medium range. I'm looking at that SWFA SS mentioned earlier in the comments. I've never owned that brand but have considered them lots of times. Reading they are outstanding for bang for your buck with reviews that support this. The Athlon Midas is a tad large and heavy. I will say I do consider choosing between a 1st focal and 2nd focal for a hunting rig at close to medium range a 2nd focal for me personally.
Not trying to high jack the focus here, but focal plane is a consideration in the scope for hunting.

I solved, the Timber and, "Back Country" Rifle, "Issue" with, a T/C Contender, Single shot in, 7 X 30 Waters, 21" bbl., 5 lbs scoped with,
a 2 x 7 Burris, E-1 Grids to, 400 Yards and "driving" 120 grain NBT's, 2,700 FPS ( Sub MOA ) and way, WAY,.. Cheaper.
IF, you can make that, FIRST Shot,.. "count" !

Last edited: