My turn with 215 Bergers in a 300RUM

D.Camilleri

So, yesterday I decided to load up some of my 215 Bergers and give them a test with my 300 Rum.
I loaded up 4 rounds each of 92, 92.5 and 93 grs of Retumbo. OAL at 3.670 My Rum has never seen any other bullets than the 180 accubond, which it shoots very well and with the shortages of components, I didn't want to tap into my H-1000 that my 338 rum likes, so I decided to give a try to the retumbo.

From a cold clean bore, my first shot hit 1 inch high right above the bullseye with a velocity of 3159 the next three shots hit two inches left and grouped right at .4 with a standard dev of less than 15 fps. Cool!

Next I tried the 92.5 load. The speeds were inconsistant mostly due to the fact that the sun was so low on the horizon. This load grouped about 2 inches. Hmmm.

On to the 93 gr load. Three shots with a .2 group with the fourth an inch right, that I would have to say was me.

Easiest load development I have ever done! Now the question is which load? I am thinking of loading 5 each of 92 and 93 and shooting them at 700 and see how they do.

Also, I have a friend that says he read where Berger doesn't give the 215's real high marks as to performance in cross winds. Has anyone else heard of this?

That is the way it went for me. I had a one hole load in a few rounds.

As for drift? Well I have not heard that. Drift is a function directly related to BC. The higher the BC is the less drift and drop. I use Bergers advertised BC in Bryans AB program, my rifle shoots on to well past 1000 and I have shot it to 1 mile with good results. So I guess the drift and drop must not be too bad. I have both the 210 and 215 in my program for the 300 win. I just ran them both for a 1000 yard shot with a 5 mph full value cross wind. The 215 has .5 moa less wind drift.

Jeff

Yep, wind drift is a function of time of flight and BC, i think your friend was BSing ya to get some bullets that are worth their weight in gold right now. :)

I was a little worried I would be able to get any speed with these 215's but after shooting them, I know I could easily get to 3200 fps as my 93 gr load was right at 3190 and no pressure signs. Now I just hate to burn up any more of these than I have to as I only started off with 100 of these.

I was a little worried I would be able to get any speed with these 215's but after shooting them, I know I could easily get to 3200 fps as my 93 gr load was right at 3190 and no pressure signs. Now I just hate to burn up any more of these than I have to as I only started off with 100 of these.

I think you have plenty of velocity. It will be interesting to see what they do at 200 on game. They have all killed very effectively for me, but I never got pass throughs on elk until 500 plus. I did get pass throughs on antelope at 300 though. My MV is around 3035.

Jeff

I have a factory take off stainless tube mounted on a trued blued action that started life as a 338 win mag. I think I have a pretty fast barrel since factory ammo clocked 3350 with 180's and my 180 accubonds have clocked 3450 with H-1000. This barrel used to really like RL22, but when I got a lot with a burn rate closer to RL 19 I switched to H-1000.

Broz,

My friend that told me about the 215 wind performance said he read it in the Berger manual and that it said the 210 actually was better in the wind. I will give the 215's a shot this year.

Broz,

My friend that told me about the 215 wind performance said he read it in the Berger manual and that it said the 210 actually was better in the wind. I will give the 215's a shot this year.

Don't know how that could be if they were close to the same velocity. 210's with a BC of .631 and 215 = .696. Hmmmm, interesting. Well my shooter and AB programs have always been pretty close. Both show the 215 with less drift in the same wind.

Jeff

I agree, bc means ability to fight air and wind. I will have to get my friend to narrow down what he read. I am going to try out my 93 grain load tomorrow at 700 and see how it does.

They have a even higher BC than the 215's. I think the OTM is .711 and the Target Hybrid .743.

Jeff
I meant that the friend was meaning that the 230 grain is better in the wind than the 215, not that the 210 is better than the 215 or 230.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.