215 Bergers in 300 RUM with 26" barrel

my best accuracy was between 3.83 and 3.85 coal which makes mine a single shot.

Mine shot real good @ 3.875 which was .025 of lands and wyatt box was 3.825. I was running 90 grains of h1000 and it shot great. When I discovered the shells wouldnt fit the mag box I went back to the drawing board. I tried several depths and powder charges. I wound up @ .095 off lands and 2 more grains of h1000 to have the same results of my .025 off lands load @ 90 grains. I got the psi back up to where it was and with additional bullet jump it took 2 more grains to do it. Mine is a bug hole monster again and shells fit mag.

Went out and shot 1050 990 750 690 600 500 and 100 again this am. My gun absolutely loves 92.0 h-1000 3.035 off my comparator which is .095 off the lands. After all my long range shooting which turned out stellar I went back to 100 yds to verify my zero height. I shot a 3 shot .115 group! This gun regularly shoots .5 or better and all I can say is hats off to Trevor @ Cloud Peak Gunworks! He has built me 3 of them and all 3 shoot excellent!

i AGAIN WENT TO THE RANGE AND i HAVE CONCLUDED THAT THE 215'S ARE VERY ACCURATE BUT ONLY BELOW 3000FPS. I looked in the Nosler book and all of their most accurate loads were reduced loads in nearly every powder. If I keep it under 3000fps It is very accurate. I bought a Sako model 75 this summer that had been rebarreled and accurized in 300 rum and the guy I bought it from had the same experience with that gun and I eventually sold it because it would only shoot under 3000fps and I wanted more. I think I now know why he abandoned it. I am beginning to think that the extra powder capacity in the rum is only that, extra powder capacity and that it is only available to you if you want to sacrifice extreme accuracy.
bitbythebug,
Lrt307 nailed it. This rifle does not like to be pushed as far as velocity is concerned. Accuracy is king so you will either need to adapt to it by increasing your wind reading skills or trade it off. However, there is no guarantee that the next rifle you get will not be the same. SAKO s are a fine rifle but their magazines are designed around a magazine length round and cannot be modified. Wyatts Outdoor Custom Rifles does make extended magazine kits for long action Remingtons and Winchesters that can give you another .110 in magazine length for bullet seating depth testing. If the velocity/ single shot issue is a game breaker you can go this way if you wish to trade the rifle off.

i WENT TO THE RANGE TODAY WITH 7 DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS and found 2 that were sub-moa but just barely. My best group was Berger 215's with 86gr RL25 at 3.75coal. It shot .875moa at 200 yds. averaging 3046fps. I can live with that but my other custom gun would sneer at that accuracy. This is my 3rd 300 rum and my friends have several and none of them are tack drivers. I will drop a grain from that load and see if I can improve upon the accuracy. 3000fps is still a very respectful round with the 215.

i WENT TO THE RANGE TODAY WITH 7 DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS and found 2 that were sub-moa but just barely. My best group was Berger 215's with 86gr RL25 at 3.75coal. It shot .875moa at 200 yds. averaging 3046fps. I can live with that but my other custom gun would sneer at that accuracy. This is my 3rd 300 rum and my friends have several and none of them are tack drivers. I will drop a grain from that load and see if I can improve upon the accuracy. 3000fps is still a very respectful round with the 215.
If you do any changes just go 1/2 grain to either side of your load IF your not showing any pressure signs. You've got a less than 1/2 minute of angle load and rifle here. A better route to get it any more accurate would be to work on your condition reading and trigger control. A minute of angle target rifle in the hands of a good shooter can "clean" ( nothing outside of the 10 ring ) a long range target at 1000 yards with aperture sights.
X-RING = 10 INCHES ACROSS
10 RING = 20 INCHES ACROSS
What size is the "x-ring" on a Deer or Elk at the range (s) you hunt at?

Went to the range the other day with many rounds to ladder test and found several that were very accurate so I came home and developed around those and went back out and shot some great groups. I found the 215's to be very accurate at 3.79coal, nosler brass, cci250 primers, RL-25 at 83.5grs. Shot a 5shot group of 2.25" at 300 yds but 4 were inside 1"averaging 2988fps. I am going to bump the powder .2grains hoping to get to or above 3000fps and then I think I can order my dial. I started the ladder at 3.85coal and worked down with everything else all the same. I also solidified the table I was shooting from and I think that helped also. As of right now I am very happy with the bullet and the gun but it has been a long journey. P.S. I also haven't deep cleaned the barrel for a while and it seemed to get more accurate the more rounds I put through it. I probably have 150-200 rounds through the new barrel and close to 50 since I deep cleaned it ( I run an oil swab through it occasionally). I think it is becoming more accurate as it fouls up. My smith told me after break-in to let it "copper up" as he had found that to make them more accurate. Seems to be right.

bitbythebug,
Sounds good! Keep in mind though. Just because YOU would like to see 3000 fps dosent mean the RIFLE will. Accuracy is king, always.

I'll take accuracy over velocity but try to get both. Thanks for your help. P.S. My custom 338 rum loves the 300 gr Berger's and will shoot .5 moa consistently. That will be my "go to" gun but wanted a good backup.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.