My Pierce titanium is on the way!

Quick update. After shooting a ladder that was less than impressive and trying to prove the better loads I noticed my scope was moving in the rings. Now I'll have to do the ladder again.

What is your impression on the action so far? Did the smith take any tolerance measurements before it was built?

It's a well built action, I have one in the shop right now (not mine) chambered 7.62 x 54, Bartlien No. 3 fluted no brake, none needed on a MacMillan Thumbhole stock. John and vrew builds nice sticks.

I like going there in person and picking them up.

I have them rebarrel and restock a Savage for me. Bartlien again No.2 no flutes, ro small and a beautifle Manners Prototype stock. I actually like the Manners better than the MacMillan.

BTW, one person does the receiver to barrel firring at Pierce and he knows what he's doing. Reason I went Bartlien over Krieger or Lija was on his recomendation.

I also had John Whidden machine a custom FL bushing die for my chamber. I sent him a couple fireformed cases and in 6 weeks had the die.

Very good looking rifle indeed!

It's a well built action, I have one in the shop right now (not mine) chambered 7.62 x 54, Bartlien No. 3 fluted no brake, none needed on a MacMillan Thumbhole stock. John and vrew builds nice sticks.

I like going there in person and picking them up.

I have them rebarrel and restock a Savage for me. Bartlien again No.2 no flutes, ro small and a beautifle Manners Prototype stock. I actually like the Manners better than the MacMillan.

Im only about an hour from them. Do they have any rifles on display if i went over there sometime? Thanks.

I have cycled Stillers, Surgeons, and Bordens. It is very subtle but this is my favorite. Pierce built the entire rifle. I did not ask about tolerances.

Very good looking rifle indeed!

Im only about an hour from them. Do they have any rifles on display if i went over there sometime? Thanks.

You are closer than I am, I'm about 2 hours east over by Cabelas....

On display? If you want to count all the to be shipped customer rifles plus the ones being built absolutely and if John happens by you can carerss one of his uber expensive F class sticks.

Be apprised, it's not your normal gun shop, in fact, it's not a retail shop at all. It's a machine shop. John's other passion is building race engines so the shop is an interesting mix of guns and engines. Engines on the north side of the shop, guns on the south side of the shop. Quite an experience actually.

Don't know about shop hours but I would assume 9-5 weekdays and no weekends, just like any normal machine shop is.

They are directly in front of Capital City Airport on Grand River. Just look for the big radar tower, Pierce is right underneath it. You could drive by and not see it, it's very non-descript, small sign out front 'Pierce Engineering-Race Engines'. No mention of guns at all.

In fact, when you go through the doors, all you see is engines....

Great people to interact with, but then I'm a machinist so I'm real attuned to that stuff.

It's worth a visit just to see some of the firearms related stuff they build and to 'kick the tires' on some of the engines too.

John is a Berger guy (of course because he shoots F Class) and Brian Litz and John are buds so you never know who might be there.... Just say'in.

Lets just say if you have Pierce build a stick for ya, it should be sending Bergers....

The way I got involved with John Pierce and company was, one of our hunting group had Pierce enlarge the magazine opening on his Krieger barreled 300 WM so I went up with him to chek it out, so to speak.

I have always shot Savages, I like 'em. The my bud decides to have Pierce build him a titanium actioned, Kreiger barrelled MacMillan stocked stick and my other hunting bud gets wind of it so he jumps on the bandwagion and orders up a full titanium actioned (even the bolt handle is titanium) Bartlien barrelled, Macmillan CF thumbholed stock stick, so, not wanting to be left out I threw John a curve...

I had them rebarrel (Bartlien No.2 light contour) my Savage 11 lightweight hunter. I wanted to loose the wood stock (it's really light but it's wood), I wanted a CF stock, nothing fancy (anyone can paint a stock with a rattle can btw). I had Pierce chamber the blank (that they ordered for me) with a Bisley reamer espressly for sending 165 Bergers. They also ordered a Manners stock but had a mixup at Manners and I waited almost a year for the stick. No issue, it's light (under 8.5 pounds with a 30mm Vortex 4-16 PST scope (to be changed to a 1" next year) to drop an additional 10 ounces. It sends Bergers just like I expected it to and it's a short barrel, just right for Michigan woods... and out west too.

Manners threw me a curve too. I got a prototype stock with full aluminum machined bedding done by the owner of Manners himself and it's beautiful. I like to pull the barrelled action and admire the machine work inside the stock. Mo bondo inside. It's all bedded in aluminu, billet. it's even engine turned... a work of art. Not bad for a stick that started life as a box stock Savage....

So, all in all, between the 3 of us we bought 3 sticks, 2 full builds and mine. Only Savage Pierce ever rebarrelled and restocked btw.

They do nice work, I recommend them...and they are fun guys too.

I really like everything about it bubba, why 7/300WM and not 7/300wsm just curious?

I have a 7WSM that shoots lights out but it is a sendero replica with a Stiller Predator and Brux barrel. Could not be happier with the performance just too heavy for my style of hunting. I decided to build on a Pierce titanium and was going to step up to the 7 LRM but after reading tons of info I stumbled onto the 7-300 thread on here. Comparing the two I quickly decided to go this route. Better brass, more consistent 3150s with 180s, and I already had dies.

Nice looking rifle. Any plans to shoot the 195's out of it? Be curious to see how it slings those down range and what kind of speed you could get...

Here are the results from today's ladder. It was at 455 yds because of the places I have to shoot this was easier being alone. The mirage kicked in like a switch after the first shot of the second string. The groups average moved down around .75 moa which in my limited experience shooting in mirage is normal depending on how bad it is. Getting a perfect day for load development here is rare so I've got to do what I can. I really wish the mirage would have stayed away.

Attachments

• image-2962467945.jpg
    image-2962467945.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts