Is the .243 win on the way out?

I am late to this party, but I have owned half a hundred 243 Winchester's in my lifetime. Only had a few that just would not shoot. All of the these rifles were 1:10 twist and of course these were all hunting rifles. I shouldn't say they would not shoot, they weren't Sub MOA guns. Good enough for a hunting gun, but any 308 rifle I owned would out shoot the 243 in 1:10 twist.

I had a Savage 12FV in 243 with a 1:9.25 twist. Shot everything I fed it including 100 grainers. Figured I'd try some 105 AMax bullets. Came up with a load that shot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. What did Hornady mean by printing 1:8 twist barrels only on the box. I had a 1:9.25 twist rifle that shot 105's lights out. Then when I started shooting at 200 yards and my group opened. Continued to shoot loads at 200 yards and started getting complete misses and then a key hole. Aha, the bullets are not stabilizing! Groups at 100 yards were 1/4 inch or less, 200 yards couldn't hit the paper. Now, I have gone around the barn a couple of times here is my take on 243 Winchester survival.

I have always loved the 243 Winchester caliber and will always love it. I think that I am joined by a few hundred thousand 243 lovers for one reason or another. When someone ask me what I would buy as a starter hunting rifle for their young new hunter? My first response is always 243 Winchester. Ammunition is everywhere and price is usually rigjt. It is not going to kick a kids head off or hurt them. I always tell people to stay away from manufactures that only make 1:10 twist guns.

Myself and hundred of thousands like me will never see the age old proven 6mm workhorse 243 Winchester die. Maybe once we are all gone from this earth you can delete the 243, but I've still got a couple of decades in me!

What did Hornady mean by printing 1:8 twist barrels only on the box. I had a 1:9.25 twist rifle that shot 105's lights out.
Yeah all my Savage 243's would shoot that bullet. Actually called Hornady and asked. Answer was that was the "ideal" twist rate not necessarily intended to suggest a 1-9 would not.

The 243 is awesome.

But the 243 wasn't designed on a computer and those slow twist rates can't use the latest greatest high bc projectiles So it's GOT to be worthless. 🙄 The answer?? " New and improved!!! " Marketing lol

I have three 243's and two of them shoot .1's & .2's respectfully. (Three shot groups at 100 yards)

I doubt the major manufacturers will use faster twist barrels. They only chase fads and court fad chasers.

We live in a throw away society. Instead of correcting the twist rate the majors would rather sell you something else. Look at Remington and the 6mm Rem or 260 Rem. Both are better than the rounds that are more popular in their class but Remington doesn't care. Instead of working out the small issues with their own cartridges they would rather sell you a creedmore. Barf

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.