Pierce Engineering Titanium Actions

Thanks EDD. Makes perfect sense since a .630" bbl is around 1 ounce at an inch then a .400" at 1.2 or 1.250" should be about double. It's amazing how we work out and get in shape for hunting and still try to shave every ounce!! Haha I am guilty of that as well. I figure that this new titanium gun I am building will come in at 6lbs 12 ounce with a pierce TI, fluted brux #3, McMillian gamescout with edge and a 4.5-14x50 leupy. I could shave 2 ounces by going with a 40mm 1" scope but I kinda like my 50's.

I think you're going too light for a 300 Weatherby, unless you're very recoil tolerant. I also agree with no less than a 24 inch barrel on a 300 Weatherby, even though it's a mountain rifle.

I've been running a Pierce CM SA in 6.5x47 for 3 years now. .3 to .5 moa accurate and I love it. The 'smith who put it together did not insure it fed reliably. I sent it to Pierce and they had things worked out in short order. Didn't charge me anything. My action is holding a 24.5" #3 Broughton set in a McMillan Rem Sporter Edge filled with a 1" Pachmyer pad and PTG BDL BM.

6 lb 11 oz with no base, rings nor scope.

Getting a rifle down to a very light weight can cost lots of $$$. Here, a Rem 700 LA in 30-06AI using a super thin Lilja barrel that has a very short cylinder that has also been turned down in diameter just forward of the action.

Before bolt fluting, their was (sometimes still is) bolt swiss cheese drilling.

Here the Rem 700 LA had lots of metal removed from around the circumference of the action between the front and rear action bridges.

Super thin,30-06AI barrel which is .552" in diameter at the muzzle.

Even a super thin, very lightened actioned rifle can shoot fine.

818 yds.

Removing weight is sometimes accomplished in fractions of an oz, not in lbs or whole oz. Again, it can be costly but oh such a joy to carry and hunt with.

Alan

I'm planning on chambering it in a 300 Wby. I want to use a Lilja barrel but would like input on barrel contour and twist rate and number of grooves you'd recommend. This gun is primarily going to be a sheep hunting gun (ie:light weight). I want a flat shooting gun that can take a grizzly if need be. That's the reasoning using a 300 Wby and I have a ton of ammo for it already.
First a disclosure, I am fond of 404Jeffries based magnums.

Chambering, if it were me I'd go 300 RUM, 300 Dakota or 300 WSM. As flat and capable as anything without the issues of the belt. 1000yards, 700yards, 500yards respectively are all flat enough. I shoot a RUM and WSM. I may make a Dakota some day.

Twist rate, a 10 will do anything.

All the above can take anything in North America.

I load one belted magnum. 270Wby. While it's OK and I have no problems it''s not my favorite except I'm shooting it to shoot it out so I can rebarrel.

If you want light, buy the Christensen Arms Carbon One 300WSM in the for sale section of this board. My buddy just got his muley at 725 yards using a CA Carbon One in 300 RUM with 180TTSX.

First a disclosure, I am fond of 404Jeffries based magnums.

Chambering, if it were me I'd go 300 RUM, 300 Dakota or 300 WSM. As flat and capable as anything without the issues of the belt. 1000yards, 700yards, 500yards respectively are all flat enough. I shoot a RUM and WSM. I may make a Dakota some day.

Twist rate, a 10 will do anything.

All the above can take anything in North America.

I load one belted magnum. 270Wby. While it's OK and I have no problems it''s not my favorite except I'm shooting it to shoot it out so I can rebarrel.

If you want light, buy the Christensen Arms Carbon One 300WSM in the for sale section of this board. My buddy just got his muley at 725 yards using a CA Carbon One in 300 RUM with 180TTSX.

I built a 27 1/2 inch heavy barrel rig with a scoped weight of 11 3/4 pounds on the .270 Dakota cartridge for long distance shooting. But for my mountain rifle which has an unscoped weight of 6 lb 2 oz, I used a short action Remington with a 25 inch barrel in .270 WSM.

I think you're going too light for a 300 Weatherby, unless you're very recoil tolerant. I also agree with no less than a 24 inch barrel on a 300 Weatherby, even though it's a mountain rifle.

I figure I can put a brake on it if it's too bad. I went on a solo sheep hunt this fall and ended up being the one hunted. A grizzly was stalking me, couldn't get a clear shot due to thick brush. That's the reason for the magnum, my 270 win probably could have took it but didn't feel to confident about it with only 12 bullets. I ordered the gun yesterday with a lilja 24", 1-11 twist, 3 groove barrel mated to their titanium action. Still need to order a McMillan edge ultralight stock. 6 month lead time.

I would go with the 300 WSM, just because with a 24" barrel I doubt that you will have much gain going to the weatherby, especially if you can seat your WSM long.
A 300 WSM will take a grizz, but until you get into the big .338 or .375's there is no laying a "smack down" on grizzlies.
I always carry my .338 RUM if there is a chance of grizz, be it sheep hunting or whitetale. Its not fun being being hunted is it?

Got it in last month was under 6#. Need to get a scope now, not sure what though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I get cutting back to save weight..... I would still take a trigger! I am really thinking about one of those actions.

I figure I can put a brake on it if it's too bad. I went on a solo sheep hunt this fall and ended up being the one hunted. A grizzly was stalking me, couldn't get a clear shot due to thick brush. That's the reason for the magnum, my 270 win probably could have took it but didn't feel to confident about it with only 12 bullets. I ordered the gun yesterday with a lilja 24", 1-11 twist, 3 groove barrel mated to their titanium action. Still need to order a McMillan edge ultralight stock. 6 month lead time.

How are finding your build based on the Peirce Titanium Action? Everything working ok?

I guess I'm the odd man out here. After a shot I work the action from my shoulder. It has not been a problem with either my Weatherby or Savage. But when the Pierce Titanium rifle with the Christensen Arms carbon wrapped barrel arrive, I could not work the bolt from my shoulder. It would bind terribly. I called Pierce and asked about it. The guy told me to "choke up on the handle." A .com friend gunsmith told me if I Cera-coated it it would work smoothly. It didn't help at all. I coated the bolt with black moly-lube and it works. But if I accidentally touch it with anything it has moly-lube on it and really makes a mess.

A friend at the shooting range saw mine and bought one. After a few weeks the lug area started to pit. There's no chance of mine doing that since it periodically gets a coat of moly-lube. (I am open to suggestions to get away from the dirty lube.)

By the way, for those who want to cut as much as two to three ounces easily, switch to Hastings Micro-cell recoil pad. Mine is 1.26" thick and weighs less than three ounces. Compare that with your typical Decelerator at six to eight ounces. I replaced the one on the Weatherby which had a Proof Research stock and a six ounce pad.

Also I made my sling. I went to the fabric store and pick up a 1" wide piece of sling material longer than I needed so I could cut to fit. It is slightly lighter thickness than normal straps. I also purchased some Brute plastic sling swivels (1/2 ounce) instead of metal (which squeak) and weigh an ounce. My wife sewed them to the strap at the length I want. I cut off what I didn't need. The completed sling with swivels weighs one ounce. The one it replaced weighed five ounces.

Tyler, who posts in the optics forum here, makes a scope level. I have a 30mm and a 1". Both weigh 2/10 ounce.

Thanks for the tips. I will be using some of these for my ultra light 6.5 build. If I can save weight I will type of build. Even my screws are gonna be ti.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.