My package from Fort Shaw!

arthurj

Well I have had my package for several weeks now but I've been so busy that I just finished load development. Just wanted to say thank you to Kirby for his excellent work. Load testing was easy, I would have taken any one of the loads I tested. All testing was done at 322 yards and not one load was over 1.9." The rifle was a Sendero 7mm ultra, Kirby blueprinted the action, chambered a 28" Lilja barrel to 300RUM. Installed break, holland recoil lug and gave it an outstanding bedding job. This is going to be one sweet "Doe smoker" The recoil is very noticably less than my vsf 308! An absolute pleasure to shoot. I bedded a ken farrell 20moa base to the action, badger rings, and topped it with a nightforce 8-32x benchrest. My camera is not the best so it is hard to give the gun the justice it deserves.
The groups on the bottom right are at 322 yards with the berger 210 and 89.7 gretumbo one measured .889 ctc and the other measured 1.038 ctc The groups on the bottom left are at 322 yds with the 220 mk one was with 89 gr retumbo .907 ctc and the other was with 89.3g retumbo .947ctc
I am ecstatic about the performance of this gun! I think with some more fiddling with seating depth I might can shrink them a little more. Once again thank you Kirby!
137IMG00008-med.JPG
1371668.jpg
1371670.jpg

arthurj:

Great looking rig and looks like it likes about anything you feed it. Great groups, now just play with the seating depth, like you said, and see what she'll do then.

Those packages from Fort Shaw contain some pretty good stuff huh??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

arthurj,
I'm glad for you, I almost feel it's happening to me. Great job, great rifle, nice shooting. Tell us more about what kind of velocities you're getting with those bullets, if possible of course.

To be honest, this is my first braked gun, not even sure what kind of brake it is! Sorry I'll talk to Kirby and let you know. As for the velocities I am sorry about that too! I don't have a chrono, hopefully I will have one in the next month. I know that 89 is supposed to be max for the 220, but when I got there I still had no signs of anything, primers where fine, web expansion fine so I took it up .3. Probably could go higher but with this accuracy I think I'll stop here.

Arthurj,

I am very happy to hear you are getting exactly what you wanted in your rifle.

From looking at your groups I would say that playing with some seating depths a bit could possibly tighten up those groups as it appears most of your group variation is vertical variation in the group.

This is generally a result of velocity spreads at the ranges you are shooting and farther.

Still, With a 300 RUM getting sub 1/3 moa is acceptible at 322 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Good Shooting!!!!

The brake by the way is a Holland QD Muzzle Brake.

Thanks for the report and have fun with your new long range hammer, 1/4 mile just does not seem that difficult anymore does it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I thought it was a Holland QD, but I didn't want to say without being sure. You're right about that 1/4 mile, NOOO Problem! I will be varying the seating depth this week to see if I can tighten them up a little more. Then I will get a good zero and start stretching this baby out, let her show what she can do at 700-1000! Man I can't wait to wollop some deer with this thing! Thanks a million Fifty!

Hi Kirby,
Does Arthurj's rifle feature a Vee-Block bedding system? I ask because the parallel breech section of the barrel looks unusually long.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Center Punch,

No it is conventionally bedded. That barrel is one of Dan Liljas standard #7 contours. They have a 3.500" straight cylinder barrel shank on this size contour. Nothing special contour wise. Dan just puts a good long barrel shank on his barrels which I feel is another bonus to most custom match barrels.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.