My new (to me) long range rifle

schmud0811

I scored a remington 700 bdl in 7mm magin trade for my winchester 1897 shotgun. the remington has a stainless barrel and reciever doesn't look it in the picutre but it is. It is stamped stainless on the barrel. I just glass bedded it and opened the barrel channel. It is an older remington 700 with the flat safety and drilled and tapped for a side rear sight. Does anyone have a clue how old it is the serial number is 35547x here is some pictures now i just need to get a better scope.
IMGA0295.jpg
IMGA0294.jpg
IMGA0293.jpg
IMGA0292.jpg

Probably made about 1969 or so looking at the stamped checkering with the flur de lis pattern. Action shouldn't be stainless but they were making some barrels that were stainless on those about that time. But who am I to say. Maybe I missed something back then but did have a twin to your gun.

they reason i know the action is stainless is because some of the finish is missing on it and i could see the stainless. Thanx for helping me narrow down the year I'll take another look at the action to double check if its really stainless

The letters are not on the action but, on the barrel just ahead of the lug. Your action is probably not SS, as mentioned earlier. Try applying some cold blue to the scratch and see if it takes. Rem made several of their rifles with SS barrels back in the 60's. 7mm Rem Mag being one of the most often encountered.

roger ill give it a whirl with the blueing. the letters are p and an r also the number 30. On the ejection port side it has R.E.P in a circle with a heart shape stamp.

[ QUOTE ]
roger ill give it a whirl with the blueing. the letters are p and an r also the number 30. On the ejection port side it has R.E.P in a circle with a heart shape stamp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Rifle was made in June, 1968.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.