budget long range rifle

rbcowboy

Hello friends, I'm looking to do a semi-custom build for a long range rifle. I'm thinking of going with a .260 as I already have a Howa 1500 .300 win mag. I'm looking to stay around $2000 for the build if possible not counting optics. What I would like is some input on action, barrel, and stock choices that can keep my build in that price range. I prefer a thumbhole stock but I shoot left handed with a right bolt. Boyds I know carry these but not sure of any others. The platform will mostly be for simply target shooting but I would also like to start getting my feet wet into F-class or other long range scoped rifle competition as my shooting improves!!! I appreciate the input gentlemen!!! Also if anybody knows of a competent gunsmith in the area of central South Dakota say from Pierre to Bismarck, ND that input would be appreciated as well.
Thanks,
Rbcowboy

have you looked for a used rifle? If not you could go Savage or Remington action, pre-fit barrel,recoil lug, barrel nut, and stock of your choice. If you went this route I believe it would do what you want.

I've looked a little at used rifles but not a lot. I'm a little leary when it comes to used rifles. I have considered the remington as well as the savage and haven't ruled either of those out. I've also considered the tikkas there are quite few who speak highly of them. I guess I mostly want a rifle that I know will shoot so that then I'm basically just working on the operator error. I may have that now with my howa but I've shot it in a wind tunnel and can still barely get it to shoot MOA with 3 shots let alone 5 on a lead sled. I'm pretty sure I'm not that bad of a shot. I think my budget should get me something that will be capable then I can work on honing my own skills to stretch the distance.

I was looking for a .300WM at the end of last year. One came up in south Florida, just happened I was going there for New Year's. I bought it, used under 40 rounds down it. It is a Savage FCP,it is hydro dipped, harris 6-9 swivel bipod, Millet 5-25 scope, one piece base. It is all camo, he had the stock done to match the scope and rings. I gave him what he asked for which was $1100.00 . I took it to the range with a box of Remington 180 core lokts. I pulled the bolt and dialed the scope on at one hundred yards while looking thru the bore. I shot 4, 5shot groups in prone the biggest being 1.3", averaging just under 1". There are a lot of good used rifles out there, especially proven ones. I own 2 that I have had for over a year that I have not shot yet. I bought them off of Accurate Shooters .com. They both have 800 rounds down them, they are target rifles. One is a 6BR, the other is a .284 Shehane, I bought with confidence, I know they are in good shape and will shoot accurately.

Thanks I will definitely keep that in mind and continue searching and saving my $$$! That was my other reason for doing a build was being able to pay for each component at a time but you do make a very good point!
Thanks again

FEENIX, that is a nice budget rifle. I like the caliber, have some 7's but not the .280AI. I am thinking of this has my next one if I ever shoot the others out. Oh yeah I like the dog also.

FEENIX, that is a nice budget rifle. I like the caliber, have some 7's but not the .280AI. I am thinking of this has my next one if I ever shoot the others out. Oh yeah I like the dog also.

Thanks, I am very pleased with it. I originally going the .280 AI route but changed my mind and I couldn't be any happier.

Yeah, Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog is my buddy and outdoor adventure companion.

Cheers!

That is a very nice rig you have by the way too feenix! How is it shooting? I've been looking a little at the .28 nosler or 7mmstw but I think I'm pretty set on .260 maybe ai for the build when I get to it

That is a very nice rig you have by the way too feenix! How is it shooting? I've been looking a little at the .28 nosler or 7mmstw but I think I'm pretty set on .260 maybe ai for the build when I get to it

Thanks! It's shooting extremely well but I have not stretch it's capabilities with the current accuracy load beyond 600 yards rock targets yet. It's 1st harvest was a young muley buck at 311 yards last year.

.260 AI is an excellent choice!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.