custom long range rifle project

dogear

I decided to put together a LONG range rifle in 300 or RUM 338 RUM. 1. Who makes the best 28"-30" barrels for the money. 2. Does anyone know where one can pick up a new Remington 700 BDL action in one the calibers mentioned minus the barrel/stock or do I have to buy a complete base rig? 3. Also, what model action would be most suitable to build from? The Sendero? Or does it matter much. Any better ideas appreciated. Thanks. Dogear

Why don't you just go with the .338 Lapua. It has much better brass than Remington does. If you want a .30 cal or something with the same power you can always just use a lighter weight bullet for the .338 like a 200-250 and for heavier stuff use the 300? Almost any of the barrel makers are just fine. Lilja, Kreiger, etc are all pretty good. I'd opt for Kreiger, but thats me. If you want to go way long range than why not just invest in a custom action, etc than messing around with a Sendaro. It may cost more, but in the long run I think you'll be happier.

if u dont want to go custom the guys at GAprecsion open up rem. bolts for the lapua round. if u dont want to open the bolt that far and stick with 338rum its a great performer as well,but as was stated is the brass quality isnt great compared to the lapua.any long rem. action will work,i think i remember someone saying that a standard long action is better for opening up rather than a long mag. action. if it helps my buddys .338 pac-nor barrel is a fine shooter-my-2-dave

[ 07-31-2004: Message edited by: 6brguy ]

talk to chris matthews about building your rig. He is first class and a perfectionist. Mike Rock makes awesome 30 and 338 cal barrels. I'd choose between the 300RUM or 338LM. I'd say it would be easier/cheaper to build the 300RUM. All the actions are the same on remingtons. The stock and barrel is what seperates the sendero from the BDL. I'd look for a BDL or BDL SS depending on if you want a stainless or blued action. Sell the other parts on ebay.

I second the Chris Matthews suggestion. He is very professional and great to work with.

Unfortunately, now that I have a couple of his rifles, I no longer have any excuses for a miss! That really bothers me.
smile.gif

I just built a 338 lapua.

Custom PGW action (great action but long wait), mcmillian stock, jewell trigger, #7 28" fluted lilja barrel.

If you just need rem action and want a doner rifle, don't waste your money on a sendero. All bdl actions are the same.

Good Luck

If you go with the Lapua, get a 30-06 action. It works a little better for the conversion. Built a bunch of 'em that a way.
Plus 06's are about 300 in pawn shops everywhere here in KC.

Sounds good. I'll check with Mr Mathews, etc. Guess my best bet is just hiring an excellent smith and let him build it or see if he has already built what I'm wanting. Leave it to the experts. Thanks again fellas. Dogear

To those interested in getting a model 700 magnum action Bob White at The Shooters Corner has them in stock for $375.He is the IBS president and a darned good gunsmith.For those looking for a short action 700 Brownells sells them as does Dan Kinneman.A quick web search should get you in contact with any of these gentleman.If you plan on sleeving your action go to a pawn shop and get the ugliest one you can find and the price will be right.The sleeve will cover the entire outside so rusty pitted guns are best.Remington only makes 2 action lengths short and long.They make 3 bolt sizes 0.378.0.473 and 0.532 with the short action you can get either the 0.378 or 0.473 bolt face.The long action is available with the 0.473 or 0.532 bolt face.Time Precision the makers of the custom actions will custom make you a bolt for your Remington for $250 and you can get it coned.
Lynn
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.