long range rifle

dogear

I'm sort of still hazy on this, but slowly zeroing in thanks to this forum's knowledgeable folks.
I'm considering a rifle in 300 or 338 RUM or LAPUA MAG. For around $2000, what is a nice rifle in these calibers that will be good for target and hunting. I read that these calibers would be most effective in a rig with at least a 29" barrel. Should I get a factory rifle and re-barrel with a custom barrel and change to custom stock? I like the AICS stocks. Any good news on them, worth the price? Other stocks to consider? Decent custom long barrels? Anyone have a good rig built like, this please advise. This will be a rifle that I'll want to be a keeper. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Dogear

what range and what size animal?
338 RUM is good for everything just about, long range and almost the same as a Lapua at half the price for ammo.

I tell you, I am sold on the Savage 116VSS rifle built up to 300 or 338 RUM easy change barrels accurate and CHEAP....you can put more of your money into the stock and barrel for what you save on the receiver.

f832ab2f.jpg

this is a Savage 338 Rum that belongs to MrRangeman from Savage shooters...

[ 06-28-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

1000 yds plus for target. Shorter distance for big game. I'll look into Savage. Probably go that way you described. Thanks for the advice and pic of a fine looking rig. Dogear

i think it's www.savageshooters.com got the info from sierra bullets .they are the best when it comes to savage.i just don't like the way they look.i bought a sendero in 338 rum and had www.rwhart.com do the work for me it now is a tack driver.i shoot 5 inch groups at 785 yards with it off of the roof of my car without sand bags.i need to get the bench and bags out and realy give it a workout.i use a palm m500 and exbal from perry systems with a LRF 1200 to make first round hits out to 800 yards.thats as far as i have tried it so far.i came down with C.I.D.P about a year and a half ago. to shoot to a 1000 i have to walk up some real killer hills and my legs are not strong enough yet.i don't think the first round hits will be a problem at 1000 thanks,keith

Don't mean to rain on the Savage parade but the 338 LM is a great caliber and Sako makes the TRG 42 which is a very accurate out of the box rifle, not modification required.
Just wanted to throw in another option.

For the very same reason, I purchased a H-S Precision PHR in 338 Lapua Mag. Although there is a rather large debate as to the quality control on H-S, I am very happy with mine and it shoots/ handles very well.
I would consider the price of ammo before choosing a caliber, LM is $$$. I chose that paticular caliber to hunt in Alaska and the local imported Oryx herd here in Texas.
Either way take your time and do the research.

Best
Mongoose

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.