budget long range rifle

rbcowboy

Hello friends, I'm looking to do a semi-custom build for a long range rifle. I'm thinking of going with a .260 as I already have a Howa 1500 .300 win mag. I'm looking to stay around $2000 for the build if possible not counting optics. What I would like is some input on action, barrel, and stock choices that can keep my build in that price range. I prefer a thumbhole stock but I shoot left handed with a right bolt. Boyds I know carry these but not sure of any others. The platform will mostly be for simply target shooting but I would also like to start getting my feet wet into F-class or other long range scoped rifle competition as my shooting improves!!! I appreciate the input gentlemen!!! Also if anybody knows of a competent gunsmith in the area of central South Dakota say from Pierre to Bismarck, ND that input would be appreciated as well.
Thanks,
Rbcowboy

have you looked for a used rifle? If not you could go Savage or Remington action, pre-fit barrel,recoil lug, barrel nut, and stock of your choice. If you went this route I believe it would do what you want.

I've looked a little at used rifles but not a lot. I'm a little leary when it comes to used rifles. I have considered the remington as well as the savage and haven't ruled either of those out. I've also considered the tikkas there are quite few who speak highly of them. I guess I mostly want a rifle that I know will shoot so that then I'm basically just working on the operator error. I may have that now with my howa but I've shot it in a wind tunnel and can still barely get it to shoot MOA with 3 shots let alone 5 on a lead sled. I'm pretty sure I'm not that bad of a shot. I think my budget should get me something that will be capable then I can work on honing my own skills to stretch the distance.

I was looking for a .300WM at the end of last year. One came up in south Florida, just happened I was going there for New Year's. I bought it, used under 40 rounds down it. It is a Savage FCP,it is hydro dipped, harris 6-9 swivel bipod, Millet 5-25 scope, one piece base. It is all camo, he had the stock done to match the scope and rings. I gave him what he asked for which was $1100.00 . I took it to the range with a box of Remington 180 core lokts. I pulled the bolt and dialed the scope on at one hundred yards while looking thru the bore. I shot 4, 5shot groups in prone the biggest being 1.3", averaging just under 1". There are a lot of good used rifles out there, especially proven ones. I own 2 that I have had for over a year that I have not shot yet. I bought them off of Accurate Shooters .com. They both have 800 rounds down them, they are target rifles. One is a 6BR, the other is a .284 Shehane, I bought with confidence, I know they are in good shape and will shoot accurately.

Thanks I will definitely keep that in mind and continue searching and saving my $$$! That was my other reason for doing a build was being able to pay for each component at a time but you do make a very good point!
Thanks again

FEENIX, that is a nice budget rifle. I like the caliber, have some 7's but not the .280AI. I am thinking of this has my next one if I ever shoot the others out. Oh yeah I like the dog also.

FEENIX, that is a nice budget rifle. I like the caliber, have some 7's but not the .280AI. I am thinking of this has my next one if I ever shoot the others out. Oh yeah I like the dog also.

Thanks, I am very pleased with it. I originally going the .280 AI route but changed my mind and I couldn't be any happier.

Yeah, Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog is my buddy and outdoor adventure companion.

Cheers!

That is a very nice rig you have by the way too feenix! How is it shooting? I've been looking a little at the .28 nosler or 7mmstw but I think I'm pretty set on .260 maybe ai for the build when I get to it

That is a very nice rig you have by the way too feenix! How is it shooting? I've been looking a little at the .28 nosler or 7mmstw but I think I'm pretty set on .260 maybe ai for the build when I get to it

Thanks! It's shooting extremely well but I have not stretch it's capabilities with the current accuracy load beyond 600 yards rock targets yet. It's 1st harvest was a young muley buck at 311 yards last year.

.260 AI is an excellent choice!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.