My new long range rig...nothing too fancy...w/pics

lovdasnow

Well I am finally about to join in the effort to hit small things a long way away with consistency. I just finished putting my scope on this afternoon, so I thought I would post some pics of the final product.

Rem 700 CDL 300RUM
trigger at 1.75lbs
holland brake
I bedded the action and floated the barrel,
NF 5.5-22x56
Badger 20moa base and med high rings.

DSCN2094_1.jpg

DSCN2097_1.jpg

DSCN2098_1.jpg

I will have it rebarreled and have the action worked over next year or the year after, but wanted to spend the extra $$ on hunting and shooting this barrel out.

Havn't shot it yet, hopefully this weekend. It's snowing outside right now,(in western oregon no less!!)
I'm sure after I've shot it I will have more questions to throw your way. I have some rounds loaded up with retumbo and H-1000, 178gr A-max, 200AB's, and 220 SMK's, so I'll see what it likes. thanks again for the info leading to the final result, my wife thanks you also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
take care, jon

Good luck with that shootin iron. H1000 has been the most consistant powder for me, much better than Retumbo. Retumbo had better velocity, but the velocity spread was much greater.

man...so do I!!! If it shoots really bad it might get rebarreled sooner than later. fingers crossed though.
also, thanks for the tips on the powder, I'm trying em both so I'll let you guys know what happens.

Looks like a shooter already! It should not let you down. Most 300 RUMS, even from the factory are shooting at least MOA. WIth your choice of powder/bullets, I'm almost positive you'll find more then 1 load it likes. Good luck, and let us know how the factory rifle does. Im quite interested myself, since factory barrels are all I shoot, for now anyways.

Looks pretty nice, Love the scope.
My 300RUM is still in need of being built, I have a sendero but its far from done.
How do ya like this dang snow, kinda caught me off gaurd, they always say its gonna but then it never does. Where you at in Oregon? Im West of Portland about 30 miles.

ya ditto's on the snow thing. pretty weird! I live a little east of salem. would love to get togather with some guys that shoot LR and learn some stuff. I'm just starting off. do you shoot long range very much? I've heard good things about the sendaro's, so get it going and we'll go shoot some milk jugs or rocks.

im just getting started in it too, Ive learned ton just reading on this forum for hours on end. I have made some long range shots but looking back at it I dont think it was a good idea when I did it. Im comfortable out to 400 yrds right now but would like to go well past that when the 300 RUM is done.
Maybe when mine is done we can hookup and see what we can do with them

"It's snowing outside right now,(in western oregon no less!!) "

Well , you just gotta " lovdasnow" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really , you have a great stick there and with proper load development it will shoot . I have helped a number of friends develop a load for their factory bbled rifles this past year and have always found a load combo that would produce moa or less groups . Who did your brake ? Also what is the twist ?

Well , if you aren't already you are soon to be "ruint" .

Jim B.

thanks for the comments guys! lovdasnow....hahah I used to ski alot, competed quite a bit, but not so much now, need to change my name..

would love to get togather sometime and shoot.

there is a smith in Salem, or....name is "Gunsmith" pretty original huh. anyway, he did a great job, very please with fit and finish.

twist is 1/10".

thanks again...now I need to decide on rangefinder..

have only shot long range with my .223 and I'm "ruint" already, I can't stay off this site!

Nice looking setup. I would think that rifle will shoot, just might have to fins the right load for her.
I have a M700 LSS and if I do my part, it will shoot under .5" with Nosler PT's at 100 yds. I plan on getting mine on target at 500 yds this summer.

Have fun with your new rifle.

JD338

You are going to love that scope. I own three Nightforce NXS Scopes, one 5.5x22x56mm NXS and two 12x42x56mm NXS. Rifle looks great, have fun killin em long. Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.