My new LR Savage.

Echo5Hotel

I recently purchased a Savage 12BVSS in .300 WSM along with a Harris Bi-pod. My cleaning equipment includes a Hoppe's Bore snake and Hoppe's copper solvent. Will this be good cleaning equipment or should I get something else? I stayed away from rods do to the fact all I could find was steel and I didnt want to push that through my brand new barrel. Also NcStar 6-24x50 Illum'd cross hair scopes...yay or nay? I have priced them in the $100-200 price range, are there others I should consider? Looking to set up for 800-1000yrds or better.

Echo5hotel ,

The boresnake will not cut the mustard .A friend took one along on a praire dog hunt and told me "you only have to pull it through one time ! ".Well I put some shooters choice copper solvent on a patch and let it soak for a bit and pulled the boresnake through four times.Then broke out the real cleaning kit -dewey rod and brush and cleaned the barrel.
There is a product called coppermelt i'm waiting to try ,Ph.# 801-465-2551 it is spoke of highly onboard here.
Also 'wipe-out' is supposedly good.
I use nylon bristle brushs from sinclair international for cleaning and shooters choice ,but that's just me.I know i'd like a faster product as the shooters choice makes cleaning a 'new barrel 'a real tussle.

As far as your scope i'm not familiar with the one you mentioned at all.A good scope is paramount to a longrange gun for sure.Try 'the optic zone.com for some good advise and service ,Jon the owner is a board member here.< I can assure you his prices are great!! The nikon buckmaster 6 x18 with side focus would make a fine scope ,although a little more magnification might be in order.Get a scope with a lifetime warranty ,that generally lets you know it is a solid built piece.
I think your rifle in 300 wsm is a great choice and will definately make your 800-1000 yd dreams a reality.
Best of luck to you and i hope this helped. Mike

For cleaning my 112BVss in 300WM, I use gm top engine cleaner for carbon, and wipeout for copper. CR-10 is faster, but no more through.
I use a proshot rod, which is a one piece steel rod. Just stay away from a jointed and you wil be ok.
if youre looking to get a scope that will do you good without spending the big bucks have a look at Millet. Ive got a 8-25X56 on mine, and its seen more than 700rounds fired under it, and it still tracks straight, and consistantly. The optics havea little curvature of field at the edges, but other wise, pretty nice. Its got just a little over 60moa of elevation. I can run mine, with a 20moa ken farrel base, from 250yds, to 1600yds, and I watched a prarie dog expire through it earlier this month at 1129yds. This scope is around the $200 mark.

Google'd Millet scopes and didn't find the scope you speak of, would you please provide a link for the 8-25x56 scope you speak of?

Forget the NcStar bro. Crap. There is few if any other scopes with the features in this price range that IS RELIABLE, except the new Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40SF. Call Jon at www.theopticzone.com, and ask him. We have a couple of the new BM on 308's, and one on a 300win mag. We've shot several hundred rounds out of the 300win and the scope works <u>perfectly</u>

Echo,
This is the link to the newer version of the scope I have. This is the side turret paralax model, where as mine is the AO model, 30mm tube with mildot reticle.
Also had a typo in my origional post, its got just under 70moa of elevation... not 60.
Here is what Randy Wakeman has to say about Millet scopes if you need a little more persuasion.

[ QUOTE ]
Millett has a great reputation for their rings, and rightly so. Their Buck Silver and Buck Gold scopes are made in China, however they are designed by Millett and backed by Millett's lifetime warranty. Millett is new on the scope scene, but they do offer a lot of value. Currently I have three mounted. A Buck Silver, a Buck Gold, and a Buck Lightning (a buck gold with illuminated cross hairs). I'm pleased with all three. There is no $69.99 street price 3 x 9 x 40 scope close to a Buck Silver that I have found. The Buck Lightning is a wonderful scope, you won't find a better electronic X-hair scope on the market for the money. As opposed to most such tubes that light up the entire reticle, the Millett lights up only the fine cross hairs in the center. For low light / brush shots, or even target shooting on black targets, it is a joy. I strongly recommend that anyone looking for a new scope on a budget take a good look at Millett.

Millett attempted to enter the scope market with a "moderate to high end" scope back some 5-6 years ago. It was called the "Buck Gold," and was made by Hakko. Dealer cost was close to $300, and it sold like mud. Additionally, Millett and Hakko did not "get along" very well; return rates were high, and suggested design changes were met with "that's how we make them" retorts by Hakko. So, the original "Buck Gold" attempt came to an untimely demise.

The current Millett Buck Gold and Buck Silver lines have only been available for the last 1-1/2 years or so. Millett is not a large company, and they have never sought to be primarily a scope company. Their product offering is modest, and they intend to keep it that way. Their focus is on keeping what they have in stock, and keeping their return rate low. Currently, the return rate is under 2%, one of the lowest in the industry.

With current product, they aimed at the low to medium price market. Their lifetime guarantee is no-nonsense, if you have a problem they send you a new tube. They have no repair facilities here in the states. That is an expensive proposition should they have QC problems. Their Buck Gold tubes have coil springs (as opposed to flat leaf springs) that keep a constant 14 lbs. of pressure on the adjustments vs. the somewhat variable 8 lbs. of pressure with leaf springs. It may well be overkill for hunting scopes (Millett admits that), but L.E. and military scopes use coil springs because spring-fatigue induced elevation drift is not a good option, particularly for a rifle in storage for a few years. They claim their Buck Golds to have 91-93% light transmission, and 3.5" of eye relief, 3" on their higher powered examples.

Are they perfect? Nope. They use thick aluminum tubes, and are a bit on the heavy side. The cross-hairs on most of their line are metal, not etched on glass. In a back-lit situation, the Millett tubes flare badly. This seems to be a coating issue on the ocular end.

If you are looking for a low-priced riflescope, check out Millett. Show me a better value than a $69.99 3 x 9 x 40mm Buck Silver, and I'll buy a couple tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

And heres a post a made some time back about these scopes.
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post64184
If you can't tell im a big fan of these scopes!
I was toying with the idea of making a custom graduated elevation knob a while back, and asked my smith to see what they wanted for a set of replacement turrets that I could mark up. He called me back 4 days later, and said they had arrived... and there was no charge. Hows THAT for service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Heres their site: http://www.millettsights.com/

Millet! Looks like they have a great product, 6x25x56 with side parallax focus!?! Wow, now this is the only problem...how do I order and how much? Can anyone else vouch for this product?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.