My New Defensive Edge LRKM

I think I will get Barnesuser28 to do it for me. He is much better with math..:)lightbulb

Jeff
LOL, i got 1.6fps /1.8 degree change also, or about .91 fps for every 1 degree temp change. Awesome shooting BTW gun)

Riley

Thanks! If you make it to the next Townsend shoot I will let you test drive her.

Jeff

Cool, i am going to try to convince my uncle to come with us, he's the one who got me into reloading and showed me the basics.

So based on decent/great conditions what do you think your maximum distance will be on Antelope, Deer and Elk? 1800-2000?

I'd imagine for a coyote it's anything visible.

It still has 1625 ft lbs of energy at a mile and 1562 fps. But a lot of practice in the same area would be in order before I would try that. Last year I took an antelope at 1285 with the 300 win, it was not a problem and was a 1 shot clean kill. But that was only a few 100 yards from my 1500 yard target. :)

Coyotes and wolves I will shoot if I see them.gun)

jeff

Where can I buy a reamer for 338 Terminator +p?
I am ordering a new barrel for my 338LM, and maybe I should chamber it in something a bit more powerfull?

Where can I buy a reamer for 338 Terminator +p?
I am ordering a new barrel for my 338LM, and maybe I should chamber it in something a bit more powerfull?

It's a patented chamber and throat design by Defensive Edge and only obtainable in new rifles they build.

Jeff

What are the advantages of the Terminator over a generic 338 LM AI?

The Terminator and the AI are close in comparison. But when you add the Defensive Edge +P to the mix it becomes a new ball game and allows loading up for up to 200 additional FPS with 300 gr bullets over a standard LM AI.

Jeff

So with this +P design have you tried RL33 ? On the +P how much added freebore is there? Is this a combination of specific powders and the +P design to get these crazy velocities?? Wildcats have been around along time just trying to figure out where this additional 200 fps is coming from? Could it be done with RL25? These numbers you are getting are very fast!!:)

So with this +P design have you tried RL33 ? On the +P how much added freebore is there? Is this a combination of specific powders and the +P design to get these crazy velocities?? Wildcats have been around along time just trying to figure out where this additional 200 fps is coming from? Could it be done with RL25? These numbers you are getting are very fast!!:)

Not usually a RL fan so I will let others test that for now.

No freebore at all, these loads are -.030" off the lands.

I do believe the 570 powder is a good choice for top velocity from this case volume and barrel length. But the ability of the +P removing the early spike in pressure is what allows you to increase the charge.

I think RL25 would be too fast for this chambering and I want something less temperature sensitive for a long range rifle so you won't find me loading powder that have RL in the name often.

There is a reason Shawn got a patent on the +P chamber. It is nothing we have seen before, at least I haven't.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have had great luck with RL25 in 338 ultra,338-378, 340 weatherby, 338 edge and the 300 mags . Low ES, great accuracy and better velocity than H1000. I will not use H1000 anymore due to it being inconsistent lot to lot. I have had lots I have had to change my loads up to 5 grs . Looking forward to trying some RL33

I have had great luck with RL25 in 338 ultra,338-378, 340 weatherby, 338 edge and the 300 mags . Low ES, great accuracy and better velocity than H1000. I will not use H1000 anymore due to it being inconsistent lot to lot. I have had lots I have had to change my loads up to 5 grs . Looking forward to trying some RL33

I am glad you like it. I really like H-1000 and use it where ever I can and in many rifles I have set up for others. No complaints. It was not the accuracy or ES that I didn't like with the RL's it was the temp/velocity swings. I shoot all year round and do a lot of practice all summer. I have one rifle left with RL powder, my 6br. I worked up the loads for it in the fall. At our last shoot here in Townsend I was shooting over everything so I checked zero first but it was good. Then we did a chronograph test with My oehler 35 and a Magneto speed. There it was , close to a 50 fps increase in velocity in the warmer temps.

I can't say that RL33 will be the same, just that I want to see some field results first.

As for the lot to lot variation, I have seen it too but not to the extent you have. But that is why I have a good chrono anyway. I buy large lots of the same lot numbers if I can with all components. Any of them could vary and usually do to some extent.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.