My "Long Ranger" build

Its the choate tactical stock. I read mixed reviews on the stock, but I've had the USS stock and their craftmenship is pretty solid...I'm very pleased with it.straight drop in and awesome feel especially if you have large hands. The palm swell can be sanded down considerably to accomadate those with small paws.

Its the choate tactical stock. I read mixed reviews on the stock, but I've had the USS stock and their craftmenship is pretty solid...I'm very pleased with it.straight drop in and awesome feel especially if you have large hands. The palm swell can be sanded down considerably to accomadate those with small paws.
There's nothing particularly cool or fancy about them but they are absolutely well made with the focus on functionality rather than impressing people with cool stuff.

I've had my hands on a few and they certainly performed well for the guys who have them.

There's nothing particularly cool or fancy about them but they are absolutely well made with the focus on functionality rather than impressing people with cool stuff.

I've had my hands on a few and they certainly performed well for the guys who have them.

And that's *exactly* what makes it soooo attractive to me!!! Flashy/expensive brand names/tacticool - what-have-you is fine i guess. I know what it's like laying in the mud/snow/rain/whatever and still having to be on-target - a rifle/stock has simply got to perform regardless of conditions.

Back when Reagan was Pres. and i was hopping outta planes, helicopters and whatever else - back when the M24 was new - stocks like these were *very* expensive. We've come along way since the dark ages of composite stocks (all such stocks were called tupperware back in the day).

That Choate was made for simple guys like me. I was hoping to hear how well it performs - how well/where cheek-weld is, how it feels in-hand (palm-swell, etc), how it carries, how it transmits recoil (direction/vibration - is it 'inert'?) stuff like that...

And that's *exactly* what makes it soooo attractive to me!!! Flashy/expensive brand names/tacticool - what-have-you is fine i guess. I know what it's like laying in the mud/snow/rain/whatever and still having to be on-target - a rifle/stock has simply got to perform regardless of conditions.

Back when Reagan was Pres. and i was hopping outta planes, helicopters and whatever else - back when the M24 was new - stocks like these were *very* expensive. We've come along way since the dark ages of composite stocks (all such stocks were called tupperware back in the day).

That Choate was made for simple guys like me. I was hoping to hear how well it performs - how well/where cheek-weld is, how it feels in-hand (palm-swell, etc), how it carries, how it transmits recoil (direction/vibration - is it 'inert'?) stuff like that...
Guys like us share a lot of things including preferring simplicity and pure functionality.

No matter how much you spend it's just tough to beat the M-24 or M-40.

The Choate stocks accomplish the same thing for even less.

Choates tactical stock is definitely up to par. It comes with a 1/2"&1/4" spacer for the stock. Without either one of them the stock feels short even to my smaller buddies. That's my only complaint and its easily remedied, leave them on! As far as cheek weld, I have a 30mmjob scope with medium rings and I couldn't ask for a better weld.

Thanks for the info on LOP/cheek-weld...also on being able to sand the swell a bit - i've med. size paws and it's something to take into account. I really, really like the looks of Manners MCS-GAT stock, but $$$

Yep, Wildrose i agree - you're spot on. The M24/40 and variants are really tough to beat - especially on a mass-produced scale. Otherwise for more individual attention, we have Kirby Allen/Allen Precision, Shawn Carlock/Defensive Edge et al to help us out!

Choates tactical stock is definitely up to par. It comes with a 1/2"&1/4" spacer for the stock. Without either one of them the stock feels short even to my smaller buddies. That's my only complaint and its easily remedied, leave them on! As far as cheek weld, I have a 30mmjob scope with medium rings and I couldn't ask for a better weld.

318, fmajor, wildrose, liltank,

Thanks for the excellent report report on the Chote tac stock. I googled it and found one on Combatstocks.com. $219. Might be a little too much, but i needed one for my Remmy LA single shot. And finding a good tac stock in ADL is just a little hard to do. Bang. Got it.
Should be here next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.