Henry Long Ranger Reviews?

timberelk

Anyone have any first hand experience? I've watched every video I could and read just about every review I could get my hands on and the reviews seem to be very positive! Including sub MOA groupings with factory ammo

But at $850-$900 retail, there are many bolt action guns that fall in or below that price range that are good shooters too.

Gun would strictly be for mule deer and elk hunting out to 500 yards (I would get the 308 chamber offering) and would anticipate still about 1400 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards

Ive held one and pulled trigger. Trigger was not long range friendly. About 5lbs and creep. But im sure a GS could fix it. The fit and finish was very good. Im sure it could do the job out to 600 or so with some trigger work.

Ive held one and pulled trigger. Trigger was not long range friendly. About 5lbs and creep. But im sure a GS could fix it. The fit and finish was very good. Im sure it could do the job out to 600 or so with some trigger work.

Thanks for the info!

That would be a very interesting twist on a long range rifle, and as far as performance a Berger 168 going 2750+ should acomplish that, and more if you go with a heavier buller. I wonder what OAL limits you would have for feeding?

That would be a very interesting twist on a long range rifle, and as far as performance a Berger 168 going 2750+ should acomplish that, and more if you go with a heavier buller. I wonder what OAL limits you would have for feeding?

And only being 7lbs, it would be a fun gun to Cary with a light weight luepold

I was thinking the same thing, light-fast-and different.
I was looking at these this summer, and the Browning BLR. A buddy of mine got one of the Henry's and it was one of, if not the, worst shooting rifles I've ever seen. Then add on a heavy/creepy trigger (like the BLR) and it steered me away. It would average 6-8" groups @ 100 with several factory loads.

I was looking at these this summer, and the Browning BLR. A buddy of mine got one of the Henry's and it was one of, if not the, worst shooting rifles I've ever seen. Then add on a heavy/creepy trigger (like the BLR) and it steered me away. It would average 6-8" groups @ 100 with several factory loads.

Wow that's horrible grouping! That's the first bad grouping report I've read about

I told him he must have got a bad one, he took it back to the gun shop he bought it from and never looked back. Even if the next one was a 1/2" shooter, he lost interest. Hard to blame him for that.

I told him he must have got a bad one, he took it back to the gun shop he bought it from and never looked back. Even if the next one was a 1/2" shooter, he lost interest. Hard to blame him for that.

Did he contact Henry?

He took it back to the gun shop (he has a very good relationship with them after buying dozens of rifles and scopes), and they said they were gonna contact Henry and get it replaced.

No one else?
I've handled a few of them and generally Henry's QC is excellent.

With your application though if it were me I'd probably see if I could find a JM stamped marlin in .338 Marlin if a lever gun is really the way you want to go.

Later production Marlins have had a lot of "issues" but the JM's keep getting it done.

The .338M compares very well ballistically to the .30-06 but with considerably more energy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.