My "Long Ranger" build

Lil Tank- I was gonna wait til I got a full day at the range with some decent ammo to give a thorough test of the Hawke, but from what I can tell u and the 40shot-50 shots I have put on this scope and its a trooper! I havnt done the box test yet, but the clicks are good, repeatable, but im thinking they're more like 1/3 moat adjustments. I got to dial it in pretty good today so I played with the 1-2 click adjustments to get it just where I want it. I caught the scope on clearance for $300u bucks and I will gladly put it against a vxII. Im beginning to learn that with the high $ stuff, you get those exact 1/4 or 1/8 TRUE adjustments. After today im gonna finish getting my reload stuff together bc I have now seen the potential of the RUM!.

Anyone have any 200 grain accubond recipes....Im ready to feed it som
2011-09-16_17-41-09_781.jpg
[/IMG]e handloads:)

Those 180 siroccos was my original OTC ammo of choice, but im impressed with the core lok psp. Its always good to know what shell will work good just in case I get in a bind and can't load any. And since I'm learning about reloading I may as well see what the 200gr NAB is all about.

Those 180 siroccos was my original OTC ammo of choice, but im impressed with the core lok psp. Its always good to know what shell will work good just in case I get in a bind and can't load any. And since I'm learning about reloading I may as well see what the 200gr NAB is all about.
The BC of the Sciroccoo makes the PSP look like something that should be fired from a pellet gun though HA!

Hey if in your rifle they perform better, thats what I'd shoot as well because the math doesn't always support the end result.

Accubonds have shot well in the rifles I've tried them in but not this well. I know a lot of people who swear by them.

They just started making a 100gr AB in the .277 specifically for the 6.8's and I'll have a couple of hundred of those to try in a couple of weeks.

The tactical stock is at least two pounds lighter than the USS! Don't get me wrong the USS is a good stock for the bench and if you didn't want to put a brake on a big bore. However for my use the tactical is just what I needed. Lightweight, stiff, practical, and best of all, affordable...

As for the sciroccos, I only shot the level II, and I had mentally psyched myself out cause I was so ****ed for spending $65on on the wrong shells. I went by shop today and got the 180 sciroccos in power level III and im ready to see if I can get. 5moa at 200 ydsgun)

The tactical stock is at least two pounds lighter than the USS! Don't get me wrong the USS is a good stock for the bench and if you didn't want to put a brake on a big bore. However for my use the tactical is just what I needed. Lightweight, stiff, practical, and best of all, affordable...

As for the sciroccos, I only shot the level II, and I had mentally psyched myself out cause I was so ****ed for spending $65on on the wrong shells. I went by shop today and got the 180 sciroccos in power level III and im ready to see if I can get. 5moa at 200 ydsgun)
I'd be mad as hell at myself too over that HA!

As well as you are doing so far I have no doubt it'll get the job done with the full power loads.

I'm going to try the federal premiums next time I take it out and see how they compare.

I'd be mad as hell at myself too over that HA!

As well as you are doing so far I have no doubt it'll get the job done with the full power loads.

I'm going to try the federal premiums next time I take it out and see how they compare.
It might worth u a try.

I got a deal last year on nosler 200gr partitions by federal for $40/box at midway. I only sighted it in 3" high at 100 yd and that is a gametaker. I took 4 whitetail, about 9 300lb+ hogs, and huge countless Louisiana beavers( no lie 60-100lb!) , and all these vermin were taken from 50-400u yds. I can't tell you how they punch paper, but I know they lay the smack down!

I sure would like to hear more about your stock!

It's *tentatively* on my list for when i can put my LR rifle together.

IIRC, it seems it has a great price, nice alum. bedding block, nice lug mounts on the side and super tough.

One thing i'm really concerned about is the palm-swell... I have med. sized hands and wouldn't want something i couldn't hang to very well.....

Nice looking rig!!! I hope you get some handloads going and really make her sing!

I sure would like to hear more about your stock!

It's *tentatively* on my list for when i can put my LR rifle together.

IIRC, it seems it has a great price, nice alum. bedding block, nice lug mounts on the side and super tough.

One thing i'm really concerned about is the palm-swell... I have med. sized hands and wouldn't want something i couldn't hang to very well.....

Nice looking rig!!! I hope you get some handloads going and really make her sing!
Mcmillan doesn't use aluminum other than for pillars. They are 100% composite other than that. You are thinking of the Bell and Carlson stocks I think.

Wildrose - nope, the OP's stock, iirc, is a Hogue. Take a peek at post #16 (gratuitous pic) of OP's rig - it's a Hogue Tac stock and a pretty sweet as well.

I first saw one here:

Review Choate New Tactical Stock - Remington 700 Tactical - TheFiringLine Forums

and from all i've read (never handled it....) it's a pretty sweet deal - especially for the asking price... I'd sure like to speak to someone 1st-hand about it.

EDIT: My bad - had Hogue on my mind when i wrote the above - i knew it was a Choate - even my link specifys it...... duh!!!!

THanks liltank for straighening me out!!!

Last edited:
Wildrose - nope, the OP's stock, iirc, is a Hogue. Take a peek at post #16 (gratuitous pic) of OP's rig - it's a Hogue Tac stock and a pretty sweet as well.

I first saw one here:

Review Choate New Tactical Stock - Remington 700 Tactical - TheFiringLine Forums

and from all i've read (never handled it....) it's a pretty sweet deal - especially for the asking price... I'd sure like to speak to someone 1st-hand about it.

That's a choate tactical stock. Check it out on their site. You can find them at midway also.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.