My first custom rifle

Who does 2,000 live rounds a year? The vast majority of us neither have the time nor the required funds. Let alone access to the facilities required! I guess rich owners of a ranch could....
I do and and more. So do the guys I hunt with. Its just part of staying on top your game. I try and shoot 2 LR F-Class shoots a month, if not F-Class then a LR Varmint shoot witch is more of a LR hunting scenario timed, random targets called out buy scorer and you have to locate, figure range and engage. if not a comp then we go out and shoot LR on our one prating reading wind, improvised shooting positions and such. This also gets us used to spotting and calling DOPE for each other and enables us to learn each others equipment we are using. That way when we are on a hunt it is second nature, we know we are on the same page and it speeds things up and we build trust in each others ability and calls on DOPE.

A lot of you have seen through my attempt to put the cart before the horse.

I was originally about five years out on the idea of getting a nice rifle, but I live in the great state of Oregon, where your neighbors like to try to tell you what is too dangerous for you to own.

I sped up my timeline a bit and the whole thing has been a bit rushed.

I've seen some really nice rifles on here that other people have built and I thought I may try to pick up one of those.

To answer some of the previous speculation, I have shot a bit. Nothing over 500 yds yet. I am not a big fan of wounding animals, so I'm not going to take a shot at an animal without being confident.

With my rushed timeline in mind, I was thinking I could grow into whatever I rifle I do end up getting.

I do appreciate all of your feedback as it has brought things to mind that I hadn't even considered yet.

I do and and more. So do the guys I hunt with. Its just part of staying on top your game. I try and shoot 2 LR F-Class shoots a month, if not F-Class then a LR Varmint shoot witch is more of a LR hunting scenario timed, random targets called out buy scorer and you have to locate, figure range and engage. if not a comp then we go out and shoot LR on our one prating reading wind, improvised shooting positions and such. This also gets us used to spotting and calling DOPE for each other and enables us to learn each others equipment we are using. That way when we are on a hunt it is second nature, we know we are on the same page and it speeds things up and we build trust in each others ability and calls on DOPE.
Lucky you, the time, money and facilities that the vast majority don't have. The only shooters I personally know who can do this are sponsored, again good on them. Unfortunately for most of us it's impossible. Unrealistic suggestions whilst very sincere aren't of much practical value to most of us.

We are on a thread talking about custom rifles.

The whole premise of this is spare funds. No one needs a custom rifle.

There are a lot of people here that can afford 2k rounds a year, even if they don't do it.

I would start by finding a caliber and a gunsmith. Then order your action, stock and barre. All can have long wait times.

I would then buy cases, bullets and die's make a dummy round to communicate throating, unless you will shoot factory ammo.

To maximize accuracy, I would find the lightest caliber you trust to take your largest game. Then pick the lightest rifle you are willing to shoot it a lot from. For me, this is a 300 Sherman in a 10.5 lb rifle. A 270 Win or 280ai in an 8.5-9lb rifle would be good too with a small brake.

Along with the spare funds and time....
😬
2,000 rounds is less than a custom rifle (the focus of this thread). Shooting 40 rounds a week isn't a huge time/money commitment.

If you don't have the money or time, then you haven't prioritized it, and that's fine.

Lucky you, the time, money and facilities that the vast majority don't have. The only shooters I personally know who can do this are sponsored, again good on them. Unfortunately for most of us it's impossible. Unrealistic suggestions whilst very sincere aren't of much practical value to most of us
Like Euler stated above "We all make our own priorities". I am not sponsored and give up a lot in other areas to do this. I also never said anyone has to shoot 2000 rounds a year but someone who is planning on LR hunting should put a least half of that down range before he takes shots at game at extended ranges, he owes it to the animal. People were making suggestions because the OP was kind of vague in his post as far as experience and it actually kind of came off as he didn't have much experience at all. I was just replying to your statement and I'm sure you would be surprised to find out that there are quite a few on the website that shoot 2000 rounds a year.

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I hadn't even considered that. Thank you for the info!
Out of the gate, your game should be paper and metal. You can't shoot enough live game with 30 caliber anything to learn the basics, develop proficiency. Learning position building, trigger control, vertical ballistics, turret twirling are among your initial challenges Wind reading comes next, as wind reading separates the trigger tuggers from the shooters. The lowly .308WIN is a great wind learning cartridge without the recoil flinch curve of the boomers, and no slouch on live game, within its ballistics. Along with the 300 and 338NM, the military included the 7.62....aka .308..... in their MRAD MK22 Deployment Kit for practice, . You can get great shooting entry rifles from Savage, Ruger, Begara, Tikka, and others very economically shooting the exponentially more economically shooting .308W. Spend the savings on great glass (if your turrets aren't reliable, repeatable, consistent, you won't be either......it will move well to your later hot rod cartridge rifle.....buy once, cry once, happy ever after.....you best early investment....cannot over buy in glass), RFs, Kestrel, spotting optics, ammo, ammo, ammo, and did I mention ammo? Once you become a shooter, you'll eventually upgrade to some flashy hot rod custom rig, but that 308W will never leave your stable, never become a safe queen. One learns in relation to how many rounds one's billfold can send down range.

No offense taken. I appreciate all the info from someone who has been where I am looking to go. There are a lot of elements I hadn't considered.
My wife is going to be really excited when I mention how many extra things I NEED to buy. 😆
Be sure to mention to your wifey...."It's for the children." Borrow some, if you don't have any...... "WE GET" works better than "I NEED" immediately preceding "to buy."

WAIT, 7mm PCR this is (will be) a great hunting round. Yuup 300 PCR strong round however it cost's in gun recoil management and powder. 7mm PCR great BC's, manageable out to realistic hunting range's better than most 30 cal's using less powder. It will take a little bit for supplies to show up, I believe it will be well worth the wait. JMHO