My 338 Sherman Shortmag

What is the recoil like on this? with and without the brake? 338SS?

I'd like to put together a Sherman. I have a Rem 700 LA and and a TL Hunter LA (std bolt faces) sitting here.

With the brake very tame, I first shot it without and it was not too bad. Yes it's a 338SS, built on a short action mag bolt face.

What is the recoil like on this? with and without the brake? 338SS?

I'd like to put together a Sherman. I have a Rem 700 LA and and a TL Hunter LA (std bolt faces) sitting here.
I have yet to run mine without a break but with my 4 port the kids can shoot it. I was expecting a hard recoiling cartridge but it's very mild. Mine is 8.5 lbs scoped and still mild to shoot.
Ruby shot his without a break when he first built so he will be able to tell you what no break is like.

What would your recommendation be to build off the Remington LA? No specific use. Just something to shoot comfortably and all. Was thinking the 30 Sherman or the 6.5 Sherman. I'm intrigued by that 338SS but my bolt is .308 dia.

What would your recommendation be to build off the Remington LA? No specific use. Just something to shoot comfortably and all. Was thinking the 30 Sherman or the 6.5 Sherman. I'm intrigued by that 338SS but my bolt is .308 dia.

Given that you are starting from a standard bolt face, the easiest route would be to stick with the Long Action Sherman cartridges. I have a 338 Sherman built on a Ruger 77 Mk II and am very fond of it. Any of the Sherman cartridges are comfortable shooters with the addition of a muzzle brake.

Of course, the softest shooter of the bunch would be the 6.5 Sherman. It would still be pleasant to shoot without a brake. The Remington 700 long actions are the perfect length to house the long action Sherman cartridges.

So 6.5 (8tw) , 300 (10tw) or 338 S(10tw) Sherman LA?

These are all based off the 30-06 case?

Parent case is 270. There is also a 280 Sherman if 7mm is your thing

Looked at the 280, have a barrel on order right now chambered in 280AI. The original intention was to do the 280 Sherman with it. But may keep it as is and build another.

Thought of the 270 but limited bullet selection and I have a 270wby mag.

With the 6.5 and a7.5 twist you will have no issues shooting 156 Berg and 160 matrix.
I run my 338 with a 9.5 shoots everything up to 270 Hornady very well. I currently run 230 ELDX and 250 Berger speed on 270 was not what I wanted but they shot one hole groups.

Rich,

Do you think in these larger bore versions .338-.375cal moving from the SS version to the Max version would make up for say 4" of barrel length ? Going from 25"-26" to 22".

I typically find the larger the caliber for a given powder column the more efficent it is thus less fps loss per inch of barrel even accounting for ratio in bullet weight.

What have you seen or thoughts with the SS to Max?

Idea is a light handy pack for heavy wooded east coast mountains and hog setup .

Thinking Tikka T3 donor CF hunter style stock 22" barrel 1x/2.5x-10x scope. Throated to allow use of the 3.5ish coal with some room. I think it could be a rather budget friendly build.