My '10 Bear

roadhunter

I managed to shoot a nice western Oregon black bear this week. Had about an 80 yard off hand shot. Unfortunately it was facing me and lightly uphill. I was hoping to hit it the left side of the chest and shoulder but the bullet struck just under the left eye...........needless to say no tracking necessary. She was a dried up sow and measured 5" 6" nose to tail and I estimated weight at 275-300 lbs. Has a very cool white patch on the chest. My buddy got the same bear on trail camera a week before.

I shot her with a Remington model 7 in 7mm SAUM with a 160 Accubond at 2900 fps. This is the second animal I've taken with the handy little rifle and it's a thumper!

Later,

RH

IMG_0010.jpg

roadhunter_bucket

I already have nice rug from a cinnamon bear I killed four years ago in eastern Oregon, so I am thinking about a half life mount that will show off that white patch. Maybe coming out of the wall paws up showing some teeth, or maybe climbing up something......I don't yet. I need to search some sites to get some ideas.

Ill admit when I read it was a sow I wasnt thinking "this is gonna be a nice bear", then I finished reading the post, and got to the pic, and all I have to say is WOW!
Thats a very nice trophy. Body confirmation is good as well. Should make for a great full size, 3/4 size or even a shoulder mount. Very nice bear. Congrats

Thanks man! I could not believe how fat she was. This is my first fall bear so I'm not sure if this normal, but there was literally 3-4 inches of fat on the low back and hams.

Nice bear, this is my kids spring bear, we where out very early for high country. 350 YRD. 325 wsm,#3 he loves bear hunting
horns-10004.jpg

Right on! I love to see kids that are into huntin. My son shot his first bear and first deer two years ago. A great experience to see your son or daughter be succesfull!

RH

Hey Roadhunter,
very nice bear. They are my favorite critter to hunt. I have taken 6 now but only one with the white on the chest. That bear is the only thing I have ever killed with a bow. I was sitting on a waterhole with my wife. He came into about 35 yards and I thumped him. Killed 4 in the spring and 2 in the fall. Can't wait for April.
Good job, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.