muzzle jump on 7mm rm

8andbait

Just got this 7mm rem mag and the muzzle really jumps. This is a Rem 700 with a 26" barrel in a B & C alaskan medalist stock. This is my first 7mm rem mag and the recoil of this rifle seems very fast and throws the muzzle up quite a bit. probably weighs about 8 lbs with scope.

I typically keep my left hand at the rear bag but was wondering if it would be okay to hold the rifle down with the left hand on the scope. Any advice on why it is jumping so much or what can be done about it. It does not have a brake and I didn't think I would need one. Accuracy is very good but I am not able to stay on target after firing.
thanks, gary

There are a lot better shooters than I to critique your technique.

But, in my experience, a Holland QD (or similar) brake will do wonders.

Otherwise, you're going to have to hold onto it.

-- richard

It's a combination of the lower overall weight + design of the stock. Of our 7mm Weatherbys, the Ultralightweight jumps a LOT more than the rest of them. It's the only one where the scope has hit my glasses.

If you like the weight, then you'll need to brake it if the jump bothers you. When you do, consider one that does not have holes in the bottom. Your other option is to find a stock that is a bit heavier and of a different design. That would also decrease the muzzle jump.

I have the same problem and have tried different techniques. I do not recommend the left hand over the scope method. I've seen others do it but did not prefer it myself ( I did try it). A good firm grip on the forend is what works best for me. Try different body positions and it might help. If you are shooting of a bi-pod and have a sling wrap your arm around the sling twice. This will give you better control. Try a nice side ported brake as well.

I got this gun to be my long range hunting rig so I am a little disappointed in the muzzle rise. The overall recoil is not bad at all it's just the jump that is bothering me. Much prefer to keep my left hand off the rifle. Off bags, the way it is, the scope just barely touches my forehead, no blood or anything like that.

It had the B&C on it when I got it so I have no problem taking it off.

I ordered a mcmillan game scout (with magnum fill) for it hoping that will solve the problem so if that doesn't help I guess I will have to go the brake route as much as I dont want to. The stock should add a little weight and maybe the shape will help also.

Thanks, gary

Went to the range today (discuss that in another thread) anyway, held gun real tight to shoulder and seemed to help. Not as much jump as before but still quite a bit. Gonna see what the new stock does before I go with the brake.
thanks, gary

I bought a Rem Sendero 7 RM several years ago and found the recoil and muzzle rise unacceptable. I had my smith install a Ross Schuler brake and my problems went away. I don't notice recoil AT ALL now, and was able to spot my own shot on a buck antelope at only 250 yards.

Brake your rifle and consider adding weight to your stock.

Good luck

I have a 7mm Mag Tikka T3 Lite. It is about the same weight that the OP mentioned, and I have the same terrible Muzzle jump.

I found shooting prone helps a little vs. shooting off the bench. I can put the bipod into the dirt a bit. Improving my body alignment has helped reduce the jumping a little, but not enough.

I found holding the bipod with the left hand a necessity. If I shoot with my left hand under the gun, near the rear bag, the muzzle jumps, and the amount of jump is unpredictable.

Even holding the bipod with the left hand, I can't call my own shots, so I have a muzzle break on order.

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions aside from getting a muzzle break or a suppressor.

Try a hand on top of the grip, over other hand and get rifle , like you said , back in shoulder. This helps some, I shoot my unbraked 325wsm this way it is 7-60z.scoped,I shoot 200 gr.You can always get a threaded brake and have it on or off.

a brake or maybe even a can is the best way i'v found taming muzzle jump.
i use a vias type brake on my 8.2 pound rig in 7saum with a mcmillan edge sporter stock. as this is my every day hunting rifle i only fit the brake when preparing to take a long shot or setting up for a ambush

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.