muzzle breaks !

6BR4ME2

Just got back from the range..(lunch hour)...and was shooting a friends 300 rum with a Barn's intalled muzzle break...anyone recommend a different one ...thinking of the Harrells .... will one break reduce recoil more than another.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes. They are fun though. I got a Jp on a 300rum. Kicks like a light 243 load but does blow your hair back. It wont take you long to remember the ear muffs when target shooting. About one shot actually.

Holland QD would be my vote.

Good reduction, not much backwards disturbance, and ear protection as expected is a must. Clean shooting in very fine sandy conditions. No holes on bottom.

I've got a JP and a Holland. I will be using a Holland on everything from this point forward. It is slim, does not get in the way like the JP and is just as effective in my opinion.

I've tried several different muzzle brakes but have settled on the VAIS brakes.

(1) They do a reasonable job of reducing recoil.
(2) They don't blast gas back onto the front lens of the scope or into my face.
(3) They seem, and this is subjective, to be much quieter than any other brake I've tried and this is important to me.

I have a VAIS Brake on my Lazzeroni Patriot and it has much less "blast" than any 300 Weatherby I've ever been near.

I also have a VAIS Brake on my Lazzeroni Hellcat (375-cal) and on my most recent trip to Africa my PH showed some concern about it so I told him if he could tell the difference with the brake on or off I would remove it. I fired a total of 8 shots --- 4 with and 4 without the brake and he only got 2 of them right. I shot buffalo, leopard, sable, kudu, warthog, impala and a bunch of baboons without any complaints and when I left he ask me to send him one for his local 'smith to install on his .416 Remington.

I am trying to decide on a brake for my dads 300 RUM. Where we live, its very sandy. With the vais, since they have holes all the way around, it seems like it would kick up dust like a son of a gun. I have had the holland style and could shoot prone with my 25-06 and did not have to many problems with sand blasting back at me. However, things are a bit different with a case burning almost 2x more powder. I shoot prone quite a bit as thats my steadiest position, so from what I've read and heard and asked for advice, the Holland styles are the way to go for the bigger cases if your shooting prone quite a bit. I do like the looks of the vais a lot better though. I like the slim line styles a lot better then the styles that aren't.

Agree 100%. Foolish to fire even a .22lr without hearing protection.

Years of military service taught me the wisdom of saving what hearing I have left so I wear soft ear-plugs + a set of Peltor's at the range and wear a pair of electronic ear plugs when hunting. Theypre expensive but I enjoy hearing the sound of my grandchildren's voices.

I ask rifle builder Chris Matthews the same question. He recommended an OPS Inc brake for the custom 300 RUM he was building for me. Works really well, I don't notice any recoil when shooting off a bipod, standing and that's with the 200gr+ bullets.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.